Small Torzhok is famous for a large number of architectural monuments. It is a pity that many of them are not in the best condition, but it is gratifying that the historical buildings, although slowly, are being restored, which is why the town is acquiring an increasingly presentable appearance. Here is the famous Borisoglebsky monastery - almost the same age as the Kiev Pechora Lavra, ancient churches preserved from the 17th century, and neat mansions of merchants, who made up a large part of the population of Torzhok in the 19th century.
The city is also included in the list of “Pushkin places”; the great poet has been here more than once. Another interesting fact: it was in Torzhok that fire patties appeared, without which the menu of not a single restaurant of Russian cuisine can do today. And finally, the famous architect N.A. Lvov was born here, who at one time worked well on the look of St. Petersburg.
What to see and where to go in Torzhok?
The most interesting and beautiful places for walking. Photos and a brief description.
1. Borisoglebsky monastery
Borisoglebsky monastery is the oldest in the Tver region. It was founded at the beginning of the XI century, but written sources contain the earliest information, only starting from the XVI century. The monastery was started by the Monk Ephraim of Novotorzhsky, who was at that time in the service of Prince Boris. The early buildings were not preserved, since the complex was seriously damaged during the Time of Troubles and was almost destroyed. The oldest building dates back to the 17th century.
2. Resurrection Monastery
Convent of the XVI century. Currently, the monastery is not limited to the reception of pilgrims, but also actively develops cultural tourism. Indeed, the visitor has something to see: the main Resurrection Church, built in 1796, which houses the valuable icon of the Resurrection of Christ, the earlier bell tower of 1766, the Church of the Beheading of John the Baptist and the monastic cells of the middle and early 19th century.
3. Novotorzhsky Kremlin
Ethnographic complex, opened in 2012 on the historical territory of the Upper Settlement. It is an exposition of weapons, military equipment and armor located in wooden huts and in the open air, as well as the reconstruction of dwellings, workshops and trading shops, characteristic of Russian settlements of the XI-XVII centuries. It was not without a lists where improvised fights take place.
4. Monument to N. A. Lvov
The architect N. A. Lvov was born near Torzhok in the middle of the 18th century. He is the author of the projects of many estates and park ensembles located in the Moscow, Tver and Novgorod regions. He also worked on a plan for the main cathedral of the Borisoglebsky Monastery. A monument in his honor was erected in 2004 with funds raised by the fund to them. N. A. Lvov with the support of the city administration.
5. Museum of the factory "Torzhok gold seamstresses"
Sewing with gold threads is the original craft of Torzhok. In the XVIII-XIX centuries, local craftswomen embroidered shoes and dresses for noble ladies, as well as decorated textiles for the imperial palaces. Over time, a whole factory appeared in the city and with it a museum, where items made mainly in the 20th century are exhibited (shoulder straps, banner trim, banners, general stars, there is even a portrait of Stalin).
6. "Belt House"
The museum opened in 2013 on the territory of the Olenin-Balavensky estate, built in the 19th century. The main exhibit of the collection is the world's largest belt 12 meters long and 25 cm wide. It was made by local gold sewing. On the product are embroidered patterns of Orthodox themes, it was even consecrated in the church. It took more than 50 km of gold thread to make the belt. The museum also houses a small exposition consisting of everyday and holiday belts.
7. Museum named after A. S. Pushkin
A.S. Pushkin often visited Torzhok between 1811 and 1836. That is why the city was included in the “Pushkin Ring of the Upper Volga Region” - a tourist route with a length of more than 200 km. The museum exposition is located on the territory of a wooden mansion. It consists of manuscripts and notes of the poet, as well as engravings with landscapes of Moscow, St. Petersburg and Tver.
8. Helicopter Museum
In the museum, visitors can see various models of helicopters produced at different times in the USSR (mainly military models are presented). The collection was created in the 1990s on the basis of a former secret facility. It houses both old models and modern ones adopted by the Russian Air Force (for example, MI-8), as well as equipment that was exported abroad for use by foreign armies.
Ethnographic open-air museum, created on the territory of the estate with the same name in 1976. It consists of houses - samples of wooden architecture of the XVIII-XIX centuries, brought from different areas of the Tver region. There is a rather interesting object here - an arch bridge made of boulders, designed by N. A. Lvov. The name "Devil's Bridge" was firmly entrenched in the design with the light hand of the author of one of the Soviet travel guides.
10. Old Ascension Church
A wooden temple on the outskirts of the city, allegedly erected at the beginning of the XVIII century. Over the following centuries, the church was repeatedly remade, given the fragility of the material, which quickly deteriorated and deteriorated. In the middle of the XIX century, the building was moved and reconstructed, and in its place they decided to build a new stone temple. Another restoration took place in the 1980s.
11. Transfiguration Cathedral
A magnificent five-domed cathedral adorns the center of Torzhok. It was erected in the XIX century in a solemn Empire style, presumably according to the project of the architect K. Rossi. The entrances to the temple are decorated with Doric porticoes and classical columns; beautiful domes crown the roof. In the 1930s, it was closed and plundered, as a result of which unique murals and precious church utensils were lost.
12. Church of Elijah the Prophet
The Ilyinsky church was built in the first half of the 19th century on the site of two dilapidated churches. He is known for the fact that here for one night the body of Alexander I was resting, which was transported from Taganrog to St. Petersburg. The construction consists of a rectangular-shaped main building crowned with a large dome and a separate three-tier bell tower, made according to all the canons of the classical style.
13. St. Michael the Archangel Church
A stone five-domed temple located on a hill and therefore clearly visible from afar. It was built in the XVII-XVIII centuries to replace the earlier building, destroyed during a fire. In Soviet times, the church was the only one operating in the district, believers from all neighboring cities and villages came here for services. The main shrine of the temple is an icon with a particle of the relics of the Monk Ephraim (the founder of the Borisoglebsky monastery).
14. Manor Znamenskoe-Rayok
The mansion of the second half of the 18th century, erected by the design of a group of architects, which included N. A. Lvov, K. Butsi, V. Irven, F. Ruska. Of the entire ensemble, only the main building with side colonnades has survived to this day. All arbors and pavilions that adorned the park space in the past were lost. At the moment, the building is under restoration, after the completion of work it is planned to open an educational institution in it.
15. Tvertskaya embankment
City embankment, which after the last restoration acquired a cozy and well-groomed look, turning into a business card of Torzhok. During restoration work, they tried to preserve the atmosphere of the 19th century inherent in this place. It should be noted that the masters managed to cope with the task - neat stone mansions really look like the historical houses of merchants with elegant facades.
A bit about the city
Torzhok is a city in the Tver region, founded according to unspecified data in the X-XI century. In the annals, mentions of the city appear in the year 1139, at the time of the capture of Prince Yuri Dolgoruky. The name comes from the word "bargaining", since the formation of the settlement was initiated by merchants. Until the 15th century, Torzhok was the main trading place on the way from the south to Veliky Novgorod.
Because of its position, the city was often attacked by troops heading for Novgorod. During the invasion of the Tatar-Mongol yoke, the New Bargain (former name) was captured, but held back the onslaught of the enemy for at least 14 days. Later, the fall was due to wars between the principalities with Novgorod, as well as the attack of Lithuania, Moscow Prince Ivan Kalita.
By the XV century, on the eve of entry into the Principality of Moscow, the city resembled a fortress: ditches, a shield fence and stone towers.
Currently, the population does not exceed 50,000 people, according to official census data in 2017 - 46,031 people. The city is located 64 km from the regional center - Tver, 239 km - from Moscow. Nearby is a highway connecting the capital of Russia with the city on the Neva.
The climate, as in the middle lane, is moderate. Winters are long and cold, and summers are short. The city is dominated by high rainfall.
How to get to Torzhok
You can get to Torzhok by bus, car or train. Due to the short distance from the regional center, bus service is established. In addition to regular buses, minibuses run between cities. A ticket will cost about 200 rubles.
Torzhok has a railway connection with Moscow, St. Petersburg and Veliky Novgorod. This transport is not popular, because trains often arrive at inconvenient times so that you can find an overnight stay or visit a museum.
The best option when traveling from the Moscow and Leningrad regions is a car. Torzhok is located next to the federal highway, and the road in the absence of traffic jams does not take much time.
Where to live in Torzhok
For people who do not have friends and acquaintances in Tver and Torzhok, there is a need to use the hotel service. The city has hotels and hostels where you can book a room in advance.
|Title||Features of the stay||Location||Minimum room rate, rubles per day|
|Onix Torzhok (3 stars) st. 4 Mednikovs||Located in a building of the XVIII century - a monument of architecture. The reception is open 24 hours a day, there are free guarded parking spaces, wireless Internet access, breakfast buffet, air conditioning in each room.||0.8 km to center||2800|
|Hotel Staroyamskaya, Kalininskoe highway, 5||The price includes:|
- access to the sauna and spa,
- free parking.
If you wish, you can use the services of a bar and restaurant, night club. The hotel is suitable for non-smokers, as tobacco is prohibited on site.
Additionally provided services:
- baths / saunas,
- a restaurant.
Best cafes and restaurants in Torzhok
Torzhok, like any other city, has cafes and restaurants of various price categories that will allow you to take a break when sightseeing. Some of them are located in hotels so that during lunch or dinner, you can look at the monuments of architecture.
Among restaurants, according to user reviews, there are:
- Birhof at the address: Kalininskoe highway, d. 14B. The institution has a disabled entrance. The owners attract visitors with live music, a homely atmosphere created with a fireplace, a large selection of cocktails and alcoholic drinks. Visitors note: the presence of a ramp for people with disabilities, the ability to visit with children. The downside is the ability to pay only in cash.
- Lira to the address: Dzerzhinsky street, 73. The cozy atmosphere goes well with the ability to accommodate a large number of guests, including children. Visitors love the variety of desserts.
For thrifty travelers, cafes and dining rooms are suitable, which in Torzhok are very diverse.
According to reviews by locals and travelers, a great place for lunch and dinner is:
1. "Boutique" on Leningradskoye Shosse, 13. Owners themselves position themselves as cafes for families, so there are no alcoholic drinks on the menu.
At affordable prices you can order:
- set meals,
- first meal,
- meat with a side dish,
- fast food: burgers, french fries.
2. Yurves on the street Mira, 34. The cafe has a children's room, free access to wireless Internet. The average bill is about 500 rubles. for 1 person. The focus of the cuisine is Russian and European.
The sights of Torzhok (what hospitable locals will tell you about tourists) are represented by architectural structures from the 11th to the 18th centuries.
List of places to visit:
1. Borisoglebsky monastery - An object of cultural heritage of the Russian Federation (Staritskaya St., 7). It is considered the oldest in Tver land. There are no mentions in the sources about it until the 18th century, but later information will become available that construction began on 1038.
The initiator was the boyar, who served at the court of Vladimir Svyatoslavovich. The monastery for men received the name in honor of the murdered sons of the prince - Boris and Gleb.
During its existence, the monastery was repeatedly destroyed:
- during the Polish attack in 1607,
- in case of fire in 1742.
The revival of the monastery began in the late XVIII — early XIX centuries. But already under the Soviet regime in 1925 a maximum security prison was placed in the buildings. She was there for half a century, after which the forced-care clinic for people with alcoholism replaced it.
At present, parishioners and visitors of the All-Russian Historical and Ethnographic Museum are adjoining in the territory.
2. Hotel Pozharsky - part of the ensemble of the Palace Square (Dzerzhinsky St., 48). The exact date of construction is unknown, but refers to the middle of the XIX century. Externally, according to old photos, the building is made in the style of early eclecticism.
The founder, the merchant Pozharsky, was engaged in carriage, while his wife and sister and daughter received guests. It was here that the name of the famous and beloved by many fire patties appeared. Due to the good position next to the road from St. Petersburg to Moscow, the hotel did not have a rebound from customers.
3. An unusual building resembling a fairy tale is Devil's Bridge consisting of large stones. To get to it, you must drive at least 5 km in the direction of the northern capital and turn along the signpost, making about 2 km through the coppice.
In the 19th century, it was designed by architect N.A. Lvov. As planned, the bridge has 2 grottoes and a vault. The design was assembled without the use of a solution. Initially, a wooden base was built into which boulders were unloaded one on top of the other. As soon as the bridge was built, the foundation was removed, and the structure is held under the weight of the stones.
4. The modern buildings of the late XX century include the building of shopping malls - Gostiny Dvor (d. 2 on the street. January 9). Outwardly, many similar buildings in different cities are similar: long rows with small shops, past which you can go and see what you need through a glass showcase.During the years of perestroika, the building underwent many changes, including the arcade was destroyed.
5. Defensive and defensive structures include Novotorzhsky Kremlin (intersection of Lomonosov St. and Kuznechnaya St.).
Kremlin in Torzhok - a landmark made of wood
Unfortunately, the wooden building has not survived to this day. Currently, festive events and festivities are held at the construction site (a hill on the right bank of Tvertsa).
Sights of Torzhok that you can see anywhere in the city include a variety of monuments. Despite the provincialism and remoteness from the center of the region, Torzhok remains the cultural city of Tver land.
In 2004, a bust was erected in the central park on the bank of Tvertsa to the architect Lvov. He was a talented poet and composer, but fellow countrymen know him as the author of many buildings and structures. Many tourists speak of a pleasant pastime in the park, while indicating the opportunity to visit the promenade and feed the ducks.
In 2015, a monument to archimandrite and the founder was erected in the city Borisoglebsky Monastery - Ephraim Novotorzhsky. He was from Hungary and came with his brothers to Russia, where he stayed, and later adopted the Christian faith and founded a monastery.
The monument is difficult to access because it is located on a small island in the center of a circular motion. Many tourists note the inconvenience in this. The pedestal is high, on it the saint stands with outstretched arms, on the right - 3 pigeons touching each other with spread wings.
A bust in honor of the poet is set on Pushkin Square. He often visited a small town and even stayed for the night on the way from Petersburg to Moscow. The house in which the poet spent time was given over to a museum.
Another, standard and not distinguished from the monuments of other cities, is iron V.I. Lenin. A pedestal with a surname is located in the center of the Revolution Square.
What to see from the sights of Torzhok for lovers of holy places is difficult to determine unambiguously. The city has a large number of temples and churches of different times of construction.
On the street Georgian in house 29 you can see an example of wooden architecture - the Church of the Ascension. It was built at the end of the XVII century and has retained its former appearance to the present. At the end of the 20th century, restoration was carried out.
In Nekrasov’s driveway on the right bank of Tvertsa, there is the Single Believer Church of the Protection of the Holy Virgin. The stone structure dates back to the beginning of the 19th century - 1823. The church was built on the site of the Nikitsky monastery by decree of Catherine.
The interior was distinguished by the presence of rare copies of icons. This is due to the large number of Old Believers living at that time in Torzhok. In 1930, like most churches, the building was closed, and part of the images was transferred to the Tretyakov Gallery. For a long time the stone building was empty and gradually collapsed. In 2016, the church began to be restored.
Another, not currently operating, architectural monument is the Cathedral of the Transfiguration of Our Savior. Built in 1822, the temple is the largest in Torzhok. According to unconfirmed reports, some architectural ideas of construction belong to the famous K. Rossi.
The house of 3 Republican Lane is the church of the Archangel Michael. It was built in the middle of the XIX century, moving the style of Russia and Byzantium. Under Soviet rule, like other churches, the church was reorganized. At first, the premises were used as a bakery, and later as a warehouse. By the end of the 20th century, the building was completely restored and restored.
On January 9, you can see the chapel of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. Built at the beginning of the XIX century according to the project of the great architect Torzhok - Lviv, it resembles a gazebo and is made in the shape of a circle.
What to see from the sights of Torzhok, will tell any resident of the Tver region.
There are 5 interesting museums in the city:
- Located on the outskirts (v. Kalininskoye, 12) Museum at the Torzhok Gold Seamstress Factory. This craft has been developed in the city for more than 2 centuries. The intricacies of needlework are passed down from generation to generation. Under the emperor, needlewomen embroidered the toilets of wealthy people with gold and silver threads, as well as wallets, powder boxes and other items. There is a shop at the factory where you can buy souvenirs. The museum works seven days a week, there are not only guided narratives, but also master classes for children and adults.
- Belt House (Dzerzhinsky St., 73). Despite the unremarkable name, this is one of the most visited places. For tourists here they show a belt from the Russian record book 12 m long. Goldilocks have spent more than 50 m of gold threads on it, and the work lasted 120 days. Outside, the words of Psalm 90 from David are embroidered, and inside are protective words. This tradition is from ancient times, when prayers were embroidered on belts for good luck, from the evil eye and evil people.
- In d. 6, located on Bakunin Street All-Russian Historical and Ethnographic Museum. Here you can get acquainted with the peasant way of life and lifestyle: clothing, crafts, blacksmithing, the principles of gun ownership. There are many holidays with interesting programs for children and adults.
- On the street Engels settled down Museum of Army Aviation. There are real models of helicopters produced in the USSR and Russia.
- House-Museum of A. S. Pushkin (st.Dzerzhinsky, 71). Expositions consist of the interior of the room of things that once belonged to the poet.
The most interesting and unusual places
Torzhok is an unusual provincial town. Tourists note its warmth and many interesting places. In addition to the central part, it is worth paying attention to the estates located in the suburbs. One of these is Znamenskoye-Raek.
It was designed and built by the architect Lvov. The original goal is the rest of the royal family on the way between the two capitals. It is currently running, but you can have a wonderful time in the park in the fresh air.
Cultural attractions for children and adults
Torzhok will leave unforgettable impressions for children and adults when visiting:
- Museum at the factory of gold sewing, it’s especially interesting to get to the master class,
- The central promenade, which overlooks the whole city,
- The Historical and Ethnographic Museum will be interesting at any age, since every day for visitors arrange performances in which men fight in chain mail and with swords,
- City tour with a visit to the monuments and a story about them,
- The place where the Novotorzhsky Kremlin stood.
Where to go with a child in Torzhok
With children, not all places will be able to see as we would like. It is difficult for a child at any age to perceive a large amount of information.
Therefore, travel agencies organize special sightseeing tours for children, which include visits to:
- Museum at the factory of goldilocks.
- Belt houses.
- A walk in nature and a story about the construction of the Devil's Bridge from boulders.
- Museum of helicopters.
- A.S. Pushkin Museum for schoolchildren.
- National circus "Youth".
- Walk along the promenade with a short story about the variety of churches of temples.
What to see in Torzhok in one day
For those who plan a quick tour of the city within 1 day, it is recommended to start from the center. Here on the banks of Tvertsa you can see the Borisoglebsky Monastery, the site of the Novotorzhsky Kremlin. When you ascend to it, the gaze of tourists presents a beautiful view of the historic center.
The uniqueness is distinguished by the historical and ethnographic museum. When visiting tourists, they are greeted by chain mail warriors who arrange a kind of battle using swords. The presence of utensils and clothes of peasants is fascinating. Both children and adults will be interested in the life of their ancestors and its features.
Unique in its kind is the museum at the factory of gold sewing.
Here you can see embroidered with gold and silver threads using crystals and rhinestones:
- items of clothing
- gloves and more.
Where to go for the weekend
On weekends, in addition to local residents, Torzhok is filled with visiting tourists from all over the country. Some pass by, others deliberately look at the beauties of the city. Due to the large number of people in the historical center and museums, it is more advisable to leave the city in good weather.
For outdoor enthusiasts, there are:
- bike rides in the park,
- climbing wall for climbing,
- swimming pool.
On cold winter days and evenings, instead of sitting out on the TV in Torzhok, you can:
- to skate in equipped skating rinks,
- roller coaster ride.
On holidays, for example, Maslenitsa, they arrange festivities on the site of the Novotorzhsky Kremlin.
What to bring from Torzhok
As from any city, from Torzhok as a gift and as a souvenir often bring things embroidered with gold thread. They can be bought at most stores, as well as directly at the factory museum. Gold and silver even embroider magnets.
Sights of Torzhok of different times are enough for a small city. Not all of them can be viewed in one day, so tourists often come with an overnight stay. What everyone can see for themselves, depending on their own desires.
Article design: Vladimir the Great
How to get from Moscow and Tver
It is reasonable to combine a visit to Torzhok with a trip to Tver, since it is located only 60 kilometers away, you can get to the city in an hour by car and 1.5 by bus and train. Also from Torzhok quickly - in just an hour - get to another interesting city in the Tver region, the Vyshny Volochyok.
- Driving route - on the M10 highway. From Moscow to Tver - this is the Leningrad highway. Around Tver there is a detour in order not to call into the city. If you are following from Tver, then take the St. Petersburg highway.
- By train and train - First, take Tver on a long-distance train (2-3 hours on the way, 1 hour on Sapsan) or by train (2 hours on the way), and then by train from Tver to Torzhok (only three a day, 1.5 hours in ways).
- By bus You can get from Tver, buses go from the bus station every half hour.
On the territory of the Kremlin was a defensive fortress of the XII century, preserved gross fortifications. Now it is an exposition-interactive center that allows each visitor to study a historical object.
In the open air there are: a craft hut, gazebos, a shooting gallery and a torture chamber, a hut with weapons exhibits, a model of the 17th-century Mikhailovsky Tower, a stadium, a corner with poultry.
In summer, weekend holidays are organized here, for example, Peter and Fevronia Day, Left-Handed Day, etc. Also held annual festivals: "Kuzminki in Torzhok", "Pancake with Pripek."
The museum holds the largest belt with the prayer “Living in the help of Vyshnyago”, its length is 12 m and width is 25 cm, it is made according to the canons of Christian culture by local needlewomen craftsmen and is registered in the Russian Guinness Book.
Everyone can make a wish or ask for something by going inside the museum.
Nearby is the Torzhskoe sewing company store. On the territory there are gazebos and a pond.
It was built back in 1776 according to a project developed by architect Pyotr Nikitin. It was intended for the rest of the emperor’s family on the way from Moscow to St. Petersburg. From the windows of the building you can see all the beauty of the right bank, as the city is visible in full view. Since the 50s of the XIX century, the palace was occupied by various educational institutions ranging from a female school and ending with schools. To date, the school operates a correction school.
All-Russian Historical and Ethnographic Museum
It has been operating since 1989. In the museum you can see expositions reflecting the history of the city and nearby settlements, as well as the results of archaeological research in these places and many other historical values. You can visit the museum exclusively with a tour group and by prior arrangement.
The museum also organizes city tours for groups - car and pedestrian.
Museum of Alexander Sergeevich Pushkin
Walking through the halls of the museum, you can not only see many drafts of Alexander Sergeyevich, but also plunge into the world of everyday life of the first inhabitants of the city: there are items of clothing, chests, vehicles and much more. It also tells about the city as a transit point between Moscow and St. Petersburg, postal routes and movements along them.
This museum can also be visited as part of excursions and by appointment.
If you are interested in the life and work of Alexander Sergeyevich - be sure to take the time to travel to the village of Mikhailovsky Pskov region.
Museum of Helicopters
The museum was created on the basis of 344 centers for combat use and retraining of flight personnel. This military unit provides advanced training for combat helicopter pilots. The museum contains almost all models of military helicopters: from the smallest to gigantic, as well as the famous "Black Shark".
In addition to the helicopters themselves, there are special hangars in which the most interesting parts of the helicopters are collected, as well as various weapons. You can get to the museum only by prior arrangement with the provision of passport data in advance, since this is still a military unit.
If you are interested in military and not only military equipment and you will be in the Yaroslavl region - visit the curious attraction of Myshkin - the Myshkinsky Samohod Museum.
Exhibition Hall of the Torzhok Gold Seamstress Factory
The exhibition contains the work of craftswomen in gold embroidery. Here they will offer not only to look at the beauty of the craft that has been preserved since ancient times, but also to buy souvenirs for relatives and friends.
The variety of goods is very large: from small magnets and cases on a mobile phone to bulky, gold embroidered paintings. The average cost of a small product ranges from 300 rubles, but there are exhibits for three thousand dollars.
The restored three-story mansions of the 18th century have been preserved along the embankment, the inscriptions and signs of the shops are stylized in the spirit of the last century.
The embankment is decorated with laces of a cast-iron parapet and round lanterns. Thanks to this, the place has acquired a "European look." During a recent restoration, the street was lined with paving stones.
The promenade overlooks the coastal mountain and the Church of the Entrance Jerusalem.
Central Market Square
Until the 18th century, shopping malls were located here, and the Epiphany and Nikitsky fairs were held annually. In the evenings, young people gathered on the square.
Since 1925, the place was called the area on January 9, in memory of those who died as a result of the shooting of a peaceful demonstration in St. Petersburg ("Bloody Sunday"). On the square there is a rotunda (today it is a souvenir shop), the building of the Magistrate, it housed at different times a school, government, court, and the city’s duma. Also preserved Shopping arcade, built in the XIX century.
The main attraction of the city is the Borisoglebsky Monastery, which stands on the banks of Tvertsa. The monastery was founded in the eleventh century by the boyar Ephraim. The shrine was built in honor of the princes Gleb and Boris killed by Svyatopolk, who after death were called saints.
During the Soviet era, there was a prison on the territory of the monastery, later a dispensary for alcoholics, then a museum. Since 1993, the monastery has been located here.
Old Ascension (Tikhvin) Church
The church was built entirely of wood without a single nail in the seventeenth century. Striking in its beauty is the long-preserved painting on the walls and ceiling. Here you can buy many different handmade souvenirs.
The church is located in the city center. Named after the prophet Elijah. It was built in 1822 on the site where another church used to be built in the tenth century.
This church is known for the fact that here in 1826 there was the body of Emperor Alexander I, which the servants brought to St. Petersburg. A few months after this event, the body of Elizabeth Alekseevna, the emperor’s wife, was brought here.
In 1929, the building was transferred to educational institutions, which were located here until 2005, when the ownership of the temple was returned to the church.
You can get on the train Torzhok - Rzhev Baltic, get off at the station Lnyanaya. But it is best to take a bus in the direction of Torzhok - Bernovo or Staritsa, since the estate is located near the road.
This abandoned manor will be interesting to lovers of ruins and ancient buildings. Here you can still walk along all floors and look at the remains of architectural splendor and handmade stucco moldings. A small bridge and outbuildings have also been preserved. However, it is worth remembering that the building has been abandoned for a long time, so impassable vegetation can become on the way to knowledge of history.
Vasilevo and Devil's Bridge
The architectural and ethnographic museum "Vasilevo" is located in the open. The museum is represented by two exhibitions: the first acquaints visitors with the life of the noble nest of the Lvovs, the second consists of peasant-type wooden buildings that introduce the life of Russian villages.
On the territory of the complex there is a cascade consisting of 3 ponds and going down to the river. Tverts. Architect N.A. Lvov performed a hundred-meter bridge. In wide circles, the bridge structure was called the Devil's Bridge, which appeared in tourist guides.
Waterfall in the village of Panika
The formation of the waterfall occurred as a result of geological work on the extraction of limestone, its height is about 5 meters. The waterfall, consecrated in honor of St. Nicholas the Ugodnik, attracts a large number of newlyweds and tourists.
The place is cultivated: volunteers erected stone stairs, benches.
It is better to see once - a video story about Torzhok and its attractions:
Torzhok is an old Russian city that is part of the Tver region. It lies on both sides of the Tvertsa River, a tributary of the Volga. The area of the city is a little more than 58 square kilometers, and the number of inhabitants does not exceed 47 thousand people.
Torzhok is the “richest” city in the Tver region in terms of the number of historical and architectural monuments; there are about 400 of them in the city
The foundation date of Torzhok is the X century, this is confirmed by archaeological finds and ancient chronicles. The name of the city is derived from the word "bargaining", this was no accident - from the very beginning of the formation of the settlement, merchant trading was held here. Torzhok was in a very good place - at the intersection of trade routes, not only land, but also water.
The inhabitants of Torzhok are called Novotorg residents, since at the time of formation the city was called New Torg for a short time, which later grew into the name Torzhok.
Due to the fact that the city was an active trading center, it was often attacked by various Russian principalities, as well as Lithuanian and Mongol-Tatar invaders. Torzhok was often destroyed, but it was always rebuilt again, and by the fifteenth century it had acquired a fortification wall. At the same time, the city joined the Moscow Principality, in which it became the central city of Novotorzhye district. Attacks on the rich city did not stop, it was often burned, its temples were destroyed, and the houses of the inhabitants were ruined. At the end of the XVIII century, by decree of Catherine II, Torzhok received its own emblem, continued its active development - the population was growing, factories and plants were being built. In the nineteenth century, in addition to the continuing development of the trading industry, handicraft industry also appears here. With the advent of Soviet power, Torzhok became subordinate to the Tver District, which later became the Tver Region. Today, the city ranks among the oldest cities in Russia, being one of the most beautiful cultural and tourist centers of the country.
Table: how to get to Torzhok
|Departure point||Train||Electric train||Bus|
|Tver||No flights.||There are three flights: at 6.54, at 15.41 and at 22.15.|
Travel time: one and a half hours.
Ticket price: 191 rubles.
|Buses between Tver and Torzhok run every 30-60 minutes.|
Travel time: 80-100 minutes.
Ticket prices: from 190 rubles.
|Length of route: 65 kilometers.|
Travel time: 40-60 minutes.
|Moscow||There are no direct flights.||No flights.||Every day, one shuttle bus leaves from Tushinskaya bus station, next to Udomly. He makes a stop in Torzhok.|
Travel time: about 4 hours.
The cost of the trip: from 400 rubles.
|Length of the route: 240 kilometers.|
Travel time: 2.5–3 hours.
|St. Petersburg||On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, there is one flight from Moskovsky Station.|
Travel time: 6-8 hours.
Ticket price: from 660 rubles.
|No flights.||On Tuesdays and Saturdays, there is one flight stopping in Torzhok.|
Travel time: about 7 hours.
The cost of the trip: from 700 rubles.
|Length of road: 470 kilometers.|
Travel time: 5–5.5 hours.
The Borisoglebsky Monastery of Torzhok is one of the oldest in the whole country. The date of its foundation is considered to be 1038, and the founder is the boyar Ephraim Novotorzhsky, who was later canonized. The fate of the monastery was long-suffering - it was often attacked, burned and ruined, because of which there are no old buildings on its territory today. The oldest building is the Vvedensky church, founded in 1607. A century later, another temple was erected - the Entrance of Jerusalem. In the XVIII-XIX century, the development of the monastery begins, at which time the Borisoglebsky Cathedral and the Church of the Image of the Savior Not Made by Hands are being built here. In 1925, the monastery was closed, and for 45 years a prison was located in it, and later the buildings were given to a medical and labor dispensary for alcohol-dependent people. The return of the monastery took place in 1993, but all the buildings were in a fairly neglected and destroyed form. Now there is a small number of monks who still carry out the restoration of the monastery buildings.
Address: Staritskaya street, house 7. Visiting hours: 8.00-19.00. Tours are conducted from 10 am to 5 pm, cost: 1000 rubles for a group of six people.
The cloister was founded in the 16th century. At the beginning of the 18th century, a fabric factory began to function on the territory of the monastery, but monastic life continues here. In 1796, one of the surviving churches was built - the Resurrection Cathedral. The building had a classic look and had a rich decoration, some of which can be seen today. Another church that "survived" to this day was the Church of the Beheading of John the Baptist. It was built in 1840. Its architecture is unusual for religious buildings - the building has a round shape, and its huge dome crowns it. Now the temple is empty, gradually collapsing. Another abandoned monastery building is the small chapel of the Savior Not Made by Hands, erected in the 18th century. Once there was a tire service in it. The monastery ceased to exist with the advent of Soviet power, and the weaving mill continued to function. Now it occupies the Resurrection Cathedral and cell buildings.
Address: 25 Stepan Razin Street.
Starovoznesenskaya (Tikhvin) Church
The first construction of the temple dates back to the middle of the 17th century; it was two hundred meters from where the church stands today. In 1717, the building was dismantled and reassembled again in a new place. During the construction of the temple, not a single nail was used, its architecture is laconic and has no decorations. With the advent of Soviet power, the church was closed, but today services are again resumed. Inside the temple also has a poor decoration - it is decorated only with ceiling paintings and the image of the Holy Trinity in one of the niches of the building.
Strict and clear silhouette, monumentality and integrity of the volumetric-spatial solution of the building, as if carved from one piece of wood, tense aspiration upwards - these are the main distinguishing features of this outstanding monument of wooden architecture
Address: 29 Gruzinskaya street. Visiting hours: Saturday and Sunday - from 10.00 to 17.00.
Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, or St. Michael the Archangel Church
The temple stands in the place where churches were built since ancient times in honor of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Domes of buildings always had a bluish tint and were strewn with stars. The modern building dates back to 1864, it underwent minor changes in 1887. The interior of the temple at all times was rich and luxurious: marble walls, a gilded iconostasis, which is now one of the best in the entire Tver region. The church was closed in the 30s of the twentieth century, then a bakery functioned here. The resumption of worship took place already in 1946 - the Annunciation Church was the first church in Torzhok, which was given to the Russian Orthodox Church after the establishment of Soviet power. Over the next fifty years, he received all the believers of the city, since the rest of the churches had not worked for another half a century.
The people of the church call it Mikhailoarkhangelskaya on the small altar, but its main throne is consecrated in honor of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Address: Respublikanskiy Lane, Building 3. Visiting hours: 9.00-14.00.
The first mention of the graveyard dates back to 1318. A large number of historical and cultural monuments are located here, one of which is the burial of the beloved Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin - Anna Kern. Once the owners of the graveyard were the noble family of the Lions, whose graves are also located on the territory of the settlement. In addition, there are mass graves of soldiers who died during the Great Patriotic War. The ancient architecture of the churchyard is also interesting, which includes:
- Church of the Resurrection of Christ, built in 1777,
- St. Nicholas Chapel, built in the eighteenth century,
- Fence of the Holy Gates, dating from the nineteenth century.
Address: village Prutnya. Distance from Torzhok to its destination: 14 kilometers.
The estate was built at the end of the 18th century by the architect Nikolai Aleksandrovich Lvov for his relative, the nobleman D. Lvov. The manor house was not preserved, only a two-story outbuilding and a linden alley that led to the main house building have survived to our days. An interesting building is an arch bridge made of boulders, also built according to the design of Lviv. It has a length of one hundred meters and is called the Devil's Bridge.
The stones of the bridge are held in the structure only under the influence of their own weight, without the use of cement and concrete
At the end of the twentieth century, on the estate's territory, the Architectural and Ethnographic Museum of Wooden Architecture was opened. It has collected more than 20 wooden buildings dating from the 18th-19th centuries. The most interesting exhibits are:
- Transfiguration Church, erected in 1732, Church of the Transfiguration brought from the churchyard Spas on Sozi
- Znamenskaya church
- Chapel of Archimandrite Michael, built in the middle of the XVIII century. The chapel of Archimandrite Michael was built in 1760
In addition to religious buildings, there are utility, general and residential buildings. The museum fund also contains more than 130 household items that belonged to people of the XIX-XX centuries.
Address: Vasilevo village. How to get there: by buses to Mitino. Museum working hours: 11.00-17.00, Monday and Tuesday - days off. The cost of visiting: 100 rubles.
The building was built in the second half of the XVIII century. The first owner of the building was the coachman Vasily Pozharsky, and in the 19th century the building passed to his relative Daria Pozharskaya. It was with her that the active development of the Pozharsky Hotel began. In addition to hospitality, the woman was distinguished by the ability to cook deliciously, her main dishes were meatballs, which she called "fire". Later, the recipe became popular not only throughout Russia, but also abroad. The dish was tasted by many eminent hotel guests, among whom were A. S. Pushkin, V. G. Belinsky, I. S. Turgenev, L. N. Tolstoy and others.
The Pozharsky Hotel is one of the most significant monuments of Torzhok, known not only in the Tver Region, but also beyond its borders.
In the early twentieth century, a club for merchants opened in the building, in which performances and dance evenings were held. In the Soviet period, the former hotel was given to the executive committee, then to the club of firefighters and the house of culture. In 1992, the building began to be restored, but the process was never completed, and at the beginning of the XXI century the hotel burned down. Restoration work began only in 2011 and was completed by 2013.
Address: Dzerzhinsky street, 48.
The architectural ensemble of the square consists of buildings of the XVIII-XIX centuries. Here are:
- The Rotunda, or Chapel of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. The building was built on the site of a classic wooden chapel in 1814. It has a round shape and is surrounded by columns, which is typical for the architecture of the classical rotunda. Crowns the construction of a bunk dome. The rotunda was built over a holy spring, which has now dried up. The chapel itself was closed in 1929, after forty years it began to be restored. Now the building is subordinate to the Borisoglebsky monastery. The rotunda is surrounded by 12 columns
- Shopping arcade. Initially, there were wooden malls, disassembled at the end of the XVIII century. In their place were built new - two-story, made of stone. The building housed 111 retail spaces. The building was partially destroyed during the hostilities in 1941, only five buildings were preserved. Today's Shopping arcade has the appearance obtained after the reconstruction carried out in the second half of the nineteenth century. Now trade continues in the Shopping arcade - small shops are open here
Museum of History and Ethnography
The Ethnographic Museum in Torzhok is federal, as it is located in the area of the tourist route between St. Petersburg and Moscow. An exhibition complex appeared on the initiative of the famous philologist and art critic Dmitry Sergeyevich Likhachev. Currently, the museum stores about 70 thousand exhibits, which are located in several buildings:
- The Kremlin, where there is an exposition telling about ancient Russian history. The museum is a complex of open-air exhibitions. The territory of the fortress seems to exist in past centuries: a forge is still working here, and merchants sell gold embroidery and homespun products. Here you can learn about the secrets of building fortresses, and see with your own eyes how warriors fight with swords and spears. Address: City Wall, Staritskaya Street, Building 1. Opening hours: from 10.00 to 18.00 - from Tuesday to Sunday, Monday - day off. The cost of visiting: 50 rubles - full, 20 rubles - preferential. The main objective of the exposition is a comprehensive study of the territory of the Novotorzh Kremlin, the popularization of knowledge about the historical past of Russia, Torzhok and Tver land, about ancient Russian military art
- A strange house located in the house of the former Ecclesiastical Government, which tells about the emergence and life of the Borisoglebsky monastery. The building houses a collection of copper church utensils: folding icons, body and breast crosses, censers, as well as fragments of frescoes of the XIV century. Ancient photographs show how the city was transformed over the past two centuries. The interior of one of the museum’s rooms is equipped as a monastic cell, in which tourists plunge into the atmosphere of the nuances of monastic life. Address: Staritskaya street, house 7. Opening hours: from 11.30 to 20.00 - from Tuesday to Sunday. The day off is Monday and every last Thursday of the month. Ticket price: 300 rubles. In addition to the icons, the exposition presents objects of the 12th – 18th centuries discovered during architectural and archaeological research on the territory of the Borisoglebsky Monastery
- The city estate is the central ethnographic complex. The manor building was built in the middle of the XIX century. The exhibition introduces visitors to the life of citizens of the XVII-XIX centuries. Museum excursions tell about the structure of the Russian hut, about traditional clothes, about folk legends dedicated to domestic evil spirits: wood goblin, house and bannik. Also here is the workshop of the famous Torzhok embroidery. Address: Dzerzhinsky Street, Building 1. Opening hours: from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. - from Tuesday to Sunday, Monday - day off. The cost of visiting: 300 rubles. The Ethnographic Center details the life of citizens and peasants.
- Exhibition Hall, where the exposure is interchangeable. The building, which houses a branch of the museum, previously belonged to the shopping arcade. Currently, the exhibition contains permanent exhibits introducing tourists to the history of the city, and a number of collections with various topics that change once a season. Address: area January 9, house 2. Opening hours: from 9.30 to 18.00 - from Tuesday to Sunday, Monday - day off. The cost of visiting is 50 rubles.
The museum building is one of the places visited by the great poet A.S. Pushkin during his travels in the Upper Volga region in 1811-1836. The exhibition was opened in 1972, and is dedicated to the writer's work and his favorite pastime - trips around Russia. There is an exposition in a wooden house of the 19th century, which once belonged to the Lvov-Balavinsky family. Currently, the noble interior of the house conveys the atmosphere of travel, in which Alexander Sergeyevich participated. It contains copies of manuscripts, the poet’s drawings made on the road, portraits of Tver acquaintances, engravings depicting crews.
All museum expositions are located in seven halls and are united by the theme of the Petersburg-Moscow tract in the life and work of the great poet
Address: Dzerzhinsky Street, 71. Opening hours: from 11.00 to 17.30 - from Wednesday to Sunday, weekends - Monday and Tuesday. The cost of visiting: 400 rubles.
Museum at the factory "Torzhok gold seamstresses"
Torzhok retained its own traditional craftsmanship - embroidery with gold threads, which arose at the beginning of the 18th century and is still an object of pride and a monument to manual labor. The factory, in which there is a museum, operates now - it is engaged in embroidery of epaulettes and insignia of military distinction. In the three rooms of the museum itself, you can get acquainted with patterns of embroidery patterns. The exposition includes: clothing of the nobles, embroidered portraits of military leaders and royal persons, panels, icons and elements of church decoration.
In the museum at the factory, visitors are told about the craft and shown unique products that exist in a single copy
Address: Kalininskoye Shosse, house 12. Opening hours: from 9.00 to 15.00 - on weekdays, weekends - Saturday, Sunday. The cost of visiting: 60 rubles - a full ticket, 30 rubles - for senior citizens, 20 rubles - for students.
Where to go with children in Torzhok
Children's holidays in Torzhok are not very developed. There are special children's excursions in museums, Vasilevo estate and Prutnya churchyard can also be studied from stories specially adapted for children's perception, but there are no institutions intended only for children's visits. A child tired of history and ancient architecture can be sent to the Helicopter Museum. It began to function in the 1990s and today has an impressive collection of helicopters. The exposition includes almost the entire model range of rotorcraft manufactured in the USSR. There are also quite rare specimens, for example, Mi-10 and Mi-18.
The museum hosts interesting excursions where they talk about a separate car: what it consists of, for what purposes it was used, how many flights it made, when it was released and so on.
Address: Engels Street, 344 Combat Application Center. Tours by appointment.
In the back yard of the Pushkin Museum there is a fabulous square - the park "Love and Fidelity", which may interest little travelers. There are a carriage, a swing, a bench of reconciliation, as well as a magnificent view of the river.
The park was opened in 2014 on the initiative and with the direct participation of the Torzhok Gold Seamstress Association
Address: Dzerzhinsky street, behind the house 71.
Tips for staying in Torzhok
The tourist season in Torzhok lasts all year round. Tours are conducted both in winter and in summer, all establishments work according to the same regime at any time of the year. In summer, there is no heat, and in winter - severe frosts, however, in any month there is a large amount of rainfall, for which it is worth preparing before the trip - take an umbrella or raincoat.
They come to the city mainly for one to two days. There are enough hotels in Torzhok to ensure that no traveler is left without a roof over his head. Most of them are located in the center, which greatly facilitates the sightseeing, which are also concentrated in the central part of the city. You can get to other areas of Torzhok by public transport, here it is represented by buses and fixed-route taxis that carry out 45 different routes.
In two days in Torzhok you can explore almost all the memorable places:
- The first of them is worth visiting the museums of the city, and in the evening you can stroll along the streets and the promenade, inspecting the ancient architecture and temples of Torzhok. Tvertskaya embankment is a face and a business card of Torzhok, so the buildings here are constantly being restored
- The second day should be devoted to trips to the estates, as well as visits to the monasteries of the city.
If the tourist has only one day at his disposal, then the route can be composed as follows:
- To begin acquaintance with the city follows from the All-Russian Ethnographic Museum.
- Then, moving down the Novgorod embankment, you can walk to the Borisoglebsky monastery.
- The next point of the tour will be the museum of A. S. Pushkin. Near the building of the Pushkin Museum is the cafe "Lira", where you can taste the famous Pozharsky cutlets.
- Then you should go to the Resurrection Monastery, getting to which you can see the Travel Palace and the Ilyinsky Temple.
- Having left on Tveretskaya embankment, the tourist will have the opportunity to enjoy the architectural complex erected in the 18th-19th centuries.
- Moving down the embankment, you can walk to the Torzhok Zolotoshvei Museum.
Before leaving the city you should buy souvenirs for loved ones. Basically, products from the Torzhok gold seamstress factory are brought from Torzhok: embroidered icons, paintings, pillows, bags and much more. You can buy products at the factory museum.
Prices for souvenirs start at 150 rubles
Also in Torzhok, tourists purchase linen products, local liquors, birch bark and clay souvenirs. The products are sold in souvenir shops and in the market located on Volodarsky Street.
City Travel Reviews
Despite the fact that the city is poorly looked after, it has something to see and is very nice there. Torzhok immerses you in the atmosphere of the old city and brings peace. When you get tired of the fast pace of life, it is very nice to come and take a walk along the streets of this city.The road to the city is quite normal, though the Leningradskoye highway near Torzhok becomes two-lane, the first time I was there it shocked me very much. Inside the city there are no roads. Continuous pits and switch to third gear is extremely rare. There are very few people in the city, even on weekends. It seems, after all, it should be a tourist center, where there are buses of tourists, where crowds of people who want to admire this beauty. There is none of them. On the one hand, this is a big plus, because no one bothers, on the other, it is very sad that all the monuments are slowly being destroyed, and people apparently do not want to look at it. Local residents move to Tver in large numbers, and this is understandable, to find work in Torzhok is very difficult. I think Torzhok could well accept a large number of tourists, but for this it is necessary to reconstruct half of the city, and most likely nobody needs this. But I advise you to visit this beautiful city if possible. Personally, I’m sure to once again, but most likely not one will plunge into the atmosphere of this sad beauty.
I like to be in Torzhok - the city is quiet, well-groomed, the streets are clean and free. One gets the feeling that every resident of the city of Torzhok has some kind of business on which everyone is in a hurry. The only thing that spoils the whole impression of the city of Torzhok is the roads. It’s not like to ride on them - walking on them is not possible !! Huge holes in the asphalt, some of them tried to close up, but to no avail (everyone knows how to make roads in Russia). It is possible that it is for this reason that there is so little transport in the city. To wait for the bus or minibus - you can stand for an hour on the street and not the fact that you are lucky to leave (((Therefore, sometimes you have to get to the desired address either on foot or by taxi. In general, the city of Torzhok leaves a good impression, it is interesting to be in it, which is why Despite the roads, many excursions and tourists constantly come there!
The town is old and it can be seen from the numerous cultural monuments. Immediately a sense of antiquity: in the paths, and in churches / monasteries, in architecture. Alienation is felt in the air itself. There was cloudy weather, and somehow it was sad. It can be seen that the town is barely surviving. The roads are broken, in the middle of the roads are huge puddles, some kind of shabby houses. Old manors, many wooden buildings and churches have been preserved. And there are almost no people. Somehow sad, poor and lonely - such impressions remained.
Torzhok is one of the 300 cities bearing the status of “Monument to Urban Planning”. There is something to see! This small city captivates at first glance with a successful combination of a picturesque hilly landscape and many architectural monuments. He is very cozy and kind. You can go for a walk while looking at local attractions. People here are very responsive and welcoming. When we entered the city from the side of Tver, we stopped in confusion, not understanding where to go further (traffic along Torzhok is ring-shaped and there is a lot of one-way traffic). Locals kindly showed us the way, told where it is better to leave the car and even where to go to eat. The only bad thing in Torzhok is the terrible roads, one might even say their complete absence. You ride like a minefield. There is literally no living space on the pavement, only pits and potholes. Of the entire Tver region, the worst condition of roads is here. This is very, very upsetting, and even ashamed of tourists.
Torzhok is an old Russian town with several hundred monuments of culture and architecture. The abundance of ancient temples and buildings erected more than two centuries ago allows the traveler to feel the spirit of the era that has forever passed, and the presence of modern infrastructure will make a vacation in the city truly comfortable.