List attractions formed on the basis of visitor reviews and sorted by rating, which is also based on visitor reviews. Thus, at the top of the list are located the most interesting sights.
Look Photoread reviewson which the rating is based, leave your review, you can follow the link on the name of a specific attractions.
If you did not find in this list an interesting place that you would like to share your impressions about - leave information on our forum in the What to see section.
Popular sights of Uglich:
Uglich is a major tourist center, and indeed there is something to see. The main attraction is undoubtedly the Kremlin, which became famous for the fact that the young son of Ivan the Terrible, Tsarevich Dmitry, was hiding here. There he was killed at the age of 9.
The beautiful promenade complements the beauty of the city's architecture. From the opposite bank you can see monasteries and churches towering everywhere. Uglich was almost not injured during the construction of the hydroelectric station, so he retained his historical appearance.
The historical center of the city, which existed for at least a thousand years. According to chronicles, the first fortifications arose as early as 947. The Kremlin was fortified with ramparts and wooden walls, which were repeatedly destroyed. The last time the walls, towers and bridges were restored in the years 1660-1662. In the XVIII century they were dismantled due to disrepair and uselessness. Currently, only the remains of a moat remind of the fortifications.
In the Kremlin lived the young son of Ivan the Terrible - Dmitry.
The monastery was founded in 1371. At first it was called Ouspensky, but in 1439 it was renamed in honor of the Moscow Metropolitan, who gave a blessing for the construction.
Of interest is the three-hipped church of 1628, called Divnaya for its unusual architectural forms. Earlier in Russia there were many similar churches depicting the Holy Trinity, but Patriarch Nikon waged an active struggle with them, so now they are almost extinct. According to legend, the people refused to destroy the church before the construction of a new one, but the construction was delayed and the church was saved.
It was founded in 1584-1591. At first, all the buildings were wooden and already in 1609 the monastery was burned by the Poles. It was restored in 1620-1629, first in the old place, and in 1661 it was transferred from the fortress to where it is now. The cathedral was built in 1843-1853. The monastery was tonsured by Tsarina Maria Fedorovna, the mother of the holy Tsarevich Dmitry, who was killed in 1591.
According to legend, the monastery was founded in the XIII century, originally located on the banks of the Volga and was wooden. In 1674-1677, it was moved to its current place, the first stone churches were built. In Soviet times, the monastery was first used for the needs of Volgostroy, and in the years 50-70 it was restored with the strengthening of the soil. Returned to the church in 1999.
The monastery was founded in the 15th century; it was destroyed by the Poles and Lithuanians in 1609, 1612 and 1619. It was originally wooden. The stone cathedral appeared in 1589. In Soviet times, the monastery was not badly damaged and was restored in its original form. The monastery holds a particle of the relics of St. Nicholas brought by Peter I from the city of Bari.
Address: Uleima village (11 km from Uglich) (to show on the map)
Temples, religious buildings:
This architectural ensemble is a decoration of the promenade and is clearly visible from the opposite bank. In fact, the Church of St. John the Baptist stands much closer than the Church of Mary of Egypt, which is located in the monastery behind the fortress wall.
Built in 1853. In Soviet times, greatly changed, removed the dome. Now it resembles a city building of incomprehensible forms.
Address: Kremlin, east of Transfiguration Cathedral (to show on the map)
The central Kremlin Cathedral was built in 1713 by serf masters led by Grigory Fedotov. The wall painting was made in the 19th century by T. Medvedev's artel. The south portico, the western and northern aisles were added in the 19th century.
Information from the memorial plaque on the temple.
The temple was built in 1753 at the expense of the captain of the Life Guards V.F. Sukhovo-Kobylin. In the late 1750s was painted. Due to the destruction of the coast at the beginning of the XX century, the bell tower was dismantled.
Address: s. Goldstream (in the north of Uglich) (to show on the map)
The two-story church was built in 1778 in the Baroque style. Wooden churches on this site existed from about the 14th century. In Soviet times, the church managed to visit both the water tower and the warehouse, and even the hostel. Returned to believers in 2000.
Built around 1730. In Soviet times, the church suffered greatly. During restoration, the bell tower was recreated anew according to old drawings.
The temple was built in 1758. In 1822 it was badly damaged during the fire, rebuilt in 1855, 1868 and 1881. In Soviet times, turned into a little noticeable building.
It is located outside the walls of the Resurrection Monastery. Built in 1690. According to legend, it was built by a rich resident of Uglich, Nikifor Chepolosov in honor of his 6-year-old son, who was murdered in a mysterious way.
Address: Spasskaya St., 14 (former K. Marx St.) (to show on the map)
Previously, a wooden church with the icon of Flora and Lavra stood on this site. The existing temple was built in 1762 at the expense of parishioners.
It was built on the spot where the 9-year-old son of Ivan the Terrible, Dmitry, was killed. Wall paintings of the 17th century tell about those events of 1591. It is likely that the subsequent Time of Troubles is associated with this event. It is possible that the murder was planned by the same Polish interventionists. Tsarevich Dmitry was canonized.
A funeral procession stopped at this place, transporting the body of the murdered Tsarevich Dmitry to Moscow. The temple was built in 1798-1814 at the expense of citizens.
The chapel-monument to the Uglich-defenders of the Fatherland in all wars rises on the edge of the square near the Kremlin moat. Built in 2004.
Located in the courtyard of a nursing home.
The museum is located in the church of Flora and Lavra. The first and only exposition in Russia that allows us to imagine how children were raised in the distant XIX century. There are departments: “City child’s room” and “Children's corner of a rural hut”. Here you can see genuine children's clothing and shoes, utensils, toys and household items. Also, the “Museum of Childhood” displays an exhibition of rare children's and family photographs of the pre-revolutionary period and a unique exhibition of candy wrappers and candy wrappers of the time.
The only museum of this type in Russia. Here you can see the current layout of a hydropower plant, get acquainted with the history of hydropower development, find out information about existing hydropower plants, etc.
Address: at the end of Spasskaya Street, behind the Resurrection Monastery (to show on the map)
In the museum you can get acquainted with the life, customs and traditions of the inhabitants of ancient Uglich, see objects of past eras. Performances and animations are held for visitors. The opportunity to take pictures in museum suits.
The museum is dedicated to the production of vodka, wine and moonshine. The exhibition features korchas, moonshines and the first mechanized machine for bottling wine and vodka products. A large collection of antique bottles, Soviet-era vodka, labels, antique dishes, gift bottles from around the world and CIS cities is also collected.
Central Museum of Local Lore of the city. It presents exhibits not only from the history of Uglich, but also from more ancient times, collected in nearby fortifications.
Puppet gallery of local craftswoman Olga Pavlycheva. Opened in June 2003. Over one hundred dolls of charming and mischievous children are represented here. In the manufacture of dolls used a variety of materials: salty dough, fabric, paper, woolen threads. Each doll is unique, and all details of clothes, accessories and shoes are made by the hands of a craftswoman.
Author's private exhibition dedicated to the mythology of the Slavs, fairy tales, epics, legends. A family of Galunov artists, Diana and Alexander, is working on its creation. The museum presents wax figures of Baba Yaga, brownie, kikimora, fieldman, birds Sirin, a scene of holy divination, made by the authors of the museum. There are also many items of old life, which are associated with ancient beliefs and customs.
The museum consists of two rooms. In the first room, various products from materials available to prisoners are presented: metal sharpeners, master keys, and knives, wooden crafts, items made of papier-mâché, and also from bread crumbs. Beautiful paintings painted on sheets with a ballpoint pen, metal shavings and ink. There are several icons painted with oil paints. Letters of prisoners are presented.
The second room is made in the form of a prison cell and is hidden behind a massive door with a window for serving food. There on the bunks are two wax figures of prisoners.
The museum’s exposition is dedicated to the history of the world-famous watch factory, which was previously located in Uglich. The museum was opened in 1975. Here is the history of the development of the enterprise over 60 years of its existence. There are photographs, a collection of watches with the brand name “The Seagull” (more than 2 thousand samples). Here you can see the very first Uglich watches, as well as the smallest wristwatch (6x9 mm in size), which received the Big Gold Medal of the International Fair in Leipzig (Germany) in 1966.
Address: 20A, Rybinsk highway, bldg. 12 (to show on the map)
The museum-club was created in 1997 on the initiative of the local historian-amateur Olga Gorodetskaya. Here is a collection of documents and photographs depicting the history of the development of the Volga, Volga shipping, as well as information about the lost monuments of architecture of Uglich.
The museum is dedicated to the products of Russian folk art. Here you can make a trip to the past, as well as purchase souvenirs as a keepsake.
Address: st. Rostov, 1/3 "Art Salon" (2nd floor). (to show on the map)
In this building lived the son of Ivan the Terrible Dmitry, sent here by his brother - Tsar Fedor Ivanovich. In 1591, at the age of 9, he was killed right on the territory of the Kremlin, where the temple of Tsarevich Dimitry on Blood now stands.
Monuments, unusual buildings:
One of the symbols of the city. Fire towers were built so that they could see the whole city and in case of fire immediately send firefighters on duty on the ground floor. With the advent of the phone, the need for a camera was no longer needed.
The remainder of the exposition of the Soviet past, when they tried to make a historical museum out of the Kremlin.
Built in the late 1930s, the Uglich Reservoir flooded many villages and monasteries. Uglich lost almost the entire part of the city across the river (Zarechnaya Sloboda), and several churches in the southwestern part of the city were also destroyed.
In the central part of Uglich, ancient merchant mansions and government buildings have been preserved. Many of them are located on Assumption Square.
Address: Historical Center
A wooden game town is built of logs near the Kremlin and the Kazan Church. Perfectly complements the architectural appearance of the central part of the city.
The central park of the city. There are a huge number of souvenir shops in great demand among tourists.
One of the first Soviet hydropower plants, built in 1940. During the Great Patriotic War was one of the main sources of energy for Moscow. The construction of the station was carried out mainly by the prisoners of the Gulag in 1935-1955, mainly by the prisoners of the Gulag. In 1941, it was the second most powerful hydropower plant in the USSR. Now it is very outdated and has almost lost its significance. There are projects to dismantle the power plant, but whether they will be implemented is not known.
The central square of the city, from here you can get to the Kremlin over the bridge over the Shelkovka stream. There are many ancient buildings of the XIX century on the square.
- Schedule: daily, from 9:00 to 17:30.
- Phone: +7 485 325-17-57.
- Website: https://vk.com/club109156700
- Address: historical center. Bus stop "Assumption Square".
So it is customary to call the architectural ensemble in the historical center of Uglich, consisting of two temples and two more secular buildings, erected in the late XVI - mid XVIII century. Once upon a time, the heart of the city - the capital of the specific principality - was protected by ramparts and towers. The citadel was repeatedly destroyed and restored again, until it finally lost its defensive significance. Until now, only fragments of the moat have remained from the once powerful fortifications. But the Dmitrievskaya Church, the Transfiguration Cathedral, the Town Hall mansion, the magnificent Princely Chambers have been preserved and still look beautiful. The Kremlin buildings, recognized as part of Russia's cultural heritage, house expositions of the Uglich Historical, Architectural and Art Museum.
Temple of Dmitry on the Blood
- Address: st. Kremlin, 3. Stop of the Assumption Square transport.
Uglich Dmitrievsky Church, as well as the Savior on Blood in Saint Petersburg, erected on the site of the murder of the august person. True, unlike Emperor Alexander II, Tsarevich Dmitry, the only legitimate heir to Ivan the Terrible, did not manage to ascend to the Russian throne. The temple, which tourists admire today, was built in 1692 on the site of a small wooden church. At the same time, Tsar Mikhail, the first ruler from the Romanov dynasty, who replaced the Rurikovich and reigned in Russia for many centuries, financed the work. The walls of the building are decorated in red and white tones, symbolizing blood and innocence. Above the main four towering blue domes, giving the temple a special elegance. The church is famous for its magnificent frescoes of the late 18th century, depicting biblical subjects. And under the canopy of the temple is stored the famous bell-bell, which at one time heralded the assassination of Tsarevich Dmitry and returned in the summer of 1892 to his historical homeland from a three hundred-year exile in Tobolsk.
- Schedule: daily, from 8:00 to 20:00.
- Phone: +7 485 325-17-58.
- Website: http://uglich-s-p-sobor.cerkov.ru
- Address: st. Kremlin, 5. Stop of the Assumption Square transport.
The Transfiguration Cathedral, built in the first decade of the 18th century, is considered to be the dominant architectural ensemble of the Uglich Kremlin. Russian architect G. Fedorov on the site of an earlier construction. The five-domed church is a wonderful example of the authentic Yaroslavl style in religious architecture. The church acquired its present form later. First, an elegant four-tier bell tower with an elegant rotunda under a spire and an hour drum appeared near the building, and in the 19th century. a classic portico was added to the main volume. The interior of the cathedral attracts attention with a six-row iconostasis with images of the work of the 17th - 19th centuries, as well as delightful fresco allegories made in the style of the best painters of the Renaissance.
- Address: st. Kremlin, 4. Stop of the Assumption Square transport.
The history of the monument of ancient Russian architecture - the true decoration of the Kremlin, is very interesting. In the last third of the 15th century, when Prince Andrei Bolshoi, who received Uglich as an inheritance, completed the construction of his residence, only his brother, Tsar Ivan the Terrible, could boast of stone chambers in Russia. After the removal of the Uglich ruler, Tsarevich Dmitry and his mother and uncles from the noble family of Nagih, sent to exile by B. Godunov, settled in the palace.Not far from the chambers, the failed successor successor soon met his death. Initially, the complex consisted of several buildings, but only the Throne Chamber has survived to this day. Since 1892, one of the oldest Russian museums has been working under its shadow. Before this, the building was restored, the facade decor and interior painting were updated. Then, a new porch appeared at the chambers - a pompous building with large carved balusters and tents in the Moscow style. Today, in the princely residence is located part of the exposition of the Uglich State Museum.
The building of the former City Council
- Address: st. Kremlin, 1. Stop of the Assumption Square transport.
The Mansion of Public Places, erected in the first third of the 19th century, harmoniously fits into the architectural ensemble, consisting of magnificent temples and colorful Princely Chambers. From a distance, the building captivates with its perfect proportions. Moreover, it is deprived of the elaborate pomposity inherent in similar structures built in some other Russian cities. The highlight of the facade is the portico, which is slightly removed from the central portal and rests on six Tuscan columns. It is interesting that the building has an absolutely identical decor from both the front and the back. The interiors of the mansion are decorated in a somewhat ascetic style, characteristic of the era of the reign of Alexander I. Nowadays, part of the funds of the city museum is stored in the house. A permanent exhibition is demonstrated here, exhibitions are organized, theatrical performances are held.
- Address: Assumption Square, 3/2/1. Bus stop "Rostovskaya Street".
Medieval Uglich was not only the capital of the specific principality, but also a significant commercial center. Evidence of this was Torgovaya Ploshchad, the ensemble of which consisted of four churches and the same number of building-galleries with shops, shops of prosperous merchants. Unfortunately, most of the buildings of the magnificent architectural ensemble were destroyed by the terrible fire of 1921. The rest was completed by the fanaticism of the militant atheists. As a result, only the Kazan Church and one portal of the Trade Rows have survived to our time. The building, erected in the middle of the XIX century. red brick, carefully restored. Today, an elegant mansion with an arcade gallery, decorated with elegant attics, occupies the hotel.
Uglich hydroelectric station
- Stop of transport "Gateway" or "Gorelektroset".
The rating list of the main attractions of Uglich includes not only ancient temples or beautiful secular buildings. Guests of the city will be able to see here a wonderful monument of industrial architecture, created in modern times. Construction of a local hydroelectric power station, the task of which included energy supply Moscow, ended in 1940. However, the system of two dams, hydraulic, technological structures even today looks impressive. A huge arch rises above the entrance to the main gateway. For all its dimensions, it looks very elegant, more reminiscent of architectural decoration than an element of an industrial facility.
- Address: st. Yaroslavskaya 10/2. Stop transport "Central Market".
The originality of Russian provincial architecture of the first half of the 19th century embodied in the exterior of the fire tower building. At that time, the mayors of small policies strove to imitate capitals in everything. This impulse was reflected in the appearance of some public buildings of Uglich. So, the building of the firehouse, above which the tower stands, suddenly found a portico. Moreover, based on the classical canons, the columns supporting the pediment should be more. In addition, in the strict view of the architect, the capitals of the pillars are too lavishly decorated. However, these flaws, visible only to specialists, do not in the least prevent tourists from admiring the colorful building.
- Address: st. O. Berggolz, 9. Stop the transport "Central Market".
One of the main decorations of O. Berggolz Street in Uglich is considered to be a delightful mansion belonging to the Pereslavtsev merchant family. The construction of the building was completed in 1806. Initially, it seems to be stone. Meanwhile, only the basement of the mansion is built of bricks. Logs became the material for the rest. On top of the round the builders stuffed tes. Then the building was plastered. By the way, six snow-white ionic columns with luxurious capitals supporting the portico are also expertly made from solid wood trunks. The skill of Russian architects of the early 19th century, who created a stunning masterpiece of architectural classicism, can only be amazed.
House of Grape
- Address: st. Lenin, 18/15. Bus stop "Music School".
The category of the most beautiful buildings of Uglich, without a doubt, includes a two-story mansion on Lenin Street. The house, erected at the very end of the 19th century, first belonged to the prosperous merchant Golev, and then passed into the possession of the Vinogradov family. The facade of an elegant corner mansion with arched windows is decorated with rusticated masonry, stucco molding, carved locks. A tower with a spire rises above the corner of the building, on each side of which colorful attics are symmetrically located.
Museum of History, Architecture and Art
- Schedule: daily, from 8:00 to 20:00 in the summer, from 9:00 to 18:00 in the period from 01.10 - 30.04.
- Ticket price: adult from 70 r. up to 85 p., children from 60 p. up to 75 p.
- Phone: +7 800 275-73-17.
- Website: http://uglmus.yar.muzkult.ru
- Address: Kremlin complex. Bus stop "Assumption Square".
The institution combines several expositions located in the ancient buildings of the Kremlin. The Dmitrievskaya Church demonstrates historical and cultural values that tell about the Uglich tragedy. The exposition of the Princely Chambers is dedicated to the past of the ancient city, significant events from Russian history, with which Uglich is somehow connected. The halls of the City Council mansion were given to the permanent exhibition “Forgotten Art: A Thing and a Masterpiece”. In the building of the former Epiphany Cathedral, expositions telling about the life and life of the inhabitants of the posad of the 16th-19th centuries are deployed. Visitors to the museum will be able to admire historical artifacts, delightful creations of masters of decorative art, ancient icons. The museum organizes sightseeing, thematic tours of the city and its environs.
Museum of Hydropower
- Schedule: daily, except Monday, from 9:00 to 18:00.
- Ticket price: adult 250 rubles, preferential 200 rubles, children under seven years of age are admitted free of charge.
- Phone: +7 485 322-40-66.
- Website: http://hydromuseum.ru
- Address: st. Spasskaya, 33. Stop Gorelektroset transport.
Uglich boasts a kind of museum, which is very popular among travelers. Its expositions tell about the history of the emergence, formation and current state of the most important branch of economic activity. Visitors to the institution will receive a lot of useful information about dams, turbines, hydroelectric power plants, learn how electricity is generated using river water. The museum, opened in 2007, when the 85th anniversary of the launch of the famous GOELRO plan was celebrated, is equipped with the latest technology. Interactive panels provide access to the multimedia part of the exposition.
Museum of Urban Life
- Schedule: daily, from 11:00 to 18:00.
- Ticket price: adult 150 rubles, children 60 rubles.
- Phone: +7 485 322-44-14.
- Website: museum-uglich.ru
- Address: Uspenskaya Square, 5. Stop of the Assumption Square transport.
Visitors to middle-aged and older who crossed the threshold of this museum will surely recall the refrain from the hit “At the Samovar I and My Masha” from the unforgettable Leonid Utesov. Indeed, the entourage of the house of a typical urban man who lived in Uglich at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries was recreated in four small halls. The living room, boudoir, cabinet sparkle with antique furniture. The exhibits are old household items, utensils used by great-grandfathers and great-grandmothers of current tourists. Full immersion in the historical atmosphere is facilitated by a meal in the teahouse with a menu of the pre-revolutionary tavern. By the way, in the museum shop you can buy wonderful souvenirs.
Prison Art Museum "Restricted Area"
- Schedule: daily, from 10:00 to 17:00.
- Ticket price: entrance with excursion service 130 p.
- Phone: +7 485 322-30-75.
- Website: https://www.prisonmuseum.ru
- Address: st. O. Berggolz, 1/2. Stop transport "Central Market".
This unusual museum occupies several rooms of a historical mansion built in the 19th century. His visual expositions illustrate the flip side of thug romance - staying in places of detention of people who have violated the law. The exhibits of the first hall are various crafts created by the hands of the inhabitants of the penitentiary institutions - sharpeners made of spoons, bread chess, backgammon, paintings painted on sheets. Those who wish can see excerpts from letters from prisoners. The second room can be examined through the peephole in the securely locked door. Here the surroundings of the prison cell were reconstructed, in which two wax mannequins dressed in a striped robe “sit”. Eccentric tourists are offered to be photographed on a bunk in a prisoner costume.
Museum of Russian Vodka
- Schedule: daily, from 11:00 to 18:00.
- Ticket price: adult 160 rubles, children 50 rubles.
- Phone: +7 485 322-35-58.
- Address: st. Rostov, 1. Stop transport "Rostov Street."
The appearance in the city of another colorful museum is fully justified. He does not at all advocate excessive drinking, but only indicates that it was in Uglich that the "vodka emperor" of Russia, the creator of the world-famous brand Pyotr Smirnov, was born. The museum has an extensive collection of samples of vodka of various varieties. In addition, here you can see the models of devices for moonshine, automatic filling machine, a large collection of labels and bottles. A reminder that drunkenness is a vice is the seven-kilogram medal, which the first Russian emperor bestowed on the courtiers who were especially partial to wine.
- Schedule: daily, from 7:00 to 19:00.
- Phone: +7 485 322-35-39.
- Address: st. Sharkova, 29. Stop of the bus “Bus station Uglich”.
The monastery, founded in 1371 by the monk Andrian with the blessing of Patriarch Alexy and one of the oldest Russian monasteries, has an eventful history. In the Time of Troubles, her monks showed fierce resistance to the Lithuanian-Polish invaders. Then all the monks, without exception, perished, and the temples turned into ruins. In memory of the courage of the selfless defenders of the motherland, who gave their lives for Faith and Fatherland, the Assumption Church was erected in the monastery. White stone monument of Russian architecture of the XVII century. incredibly impressive. Three carved hipped domes crowned with blackened cupolas rise above the main volume of the building. From this it seems that the church is about to fly to heaven. In the shadow of the Assumption Church, a particularly revered Orthodox relic is stored - the miraculous icon of the Mother of God “The Candle of the Eternal”, also known as the “Uglich Goalkeeper”.
- Schedule: daily, from 7:00 to 20:00.
- Phone: +7 485 322-22-50.
- Website: http://voskresenie-ugl.cerkov.ru
- Address: st. Spasskaya, 31 / 2A. Bus stop "Music School".
Historians still have not been able to establish a more or less accurate date for the emergence of the monastery, dating its foundation in the 15th century. But this is not so important. The main thing is that the monastery exists to the delight of citizens, believers and secular tourists who come here from all over the country. Gilded domes rise above the white-stone walls of the temple complex, caressing the gaze, and the ringing of the bells of the monastery fills the soul of travelers with peace. The dominant feature of the architectural ensemble is the proportionally ascetic Resurrection Cathedral, connected by galleries with the small church of Hodegetria and the refectory. The belfry in the Novgorod style, attached to the main temple, completes the amazing composition.
- Schedule: daily, from 7:00 to 19:00.
- Phone: +7 485 329-26-70.
- Website: http://www.monastyr-bogoyavlenie.ru
- Address: Campus, 12. Transport stop "February Street".
In the history of the girl’s monastery, which arose in the XIV century. thanks to the efforts of the wife of Dmitry Donskoy Princess Yevdokia, there is a very remarkable page. Two centuries after its founding, he was forced to “move” from the center of Uglich in connection with the start of construction of stone walls of the Kremlin. Following this began the heyday of the monastery. In a new place, temples, cell, household buildings grew. Visitors to the monastery will be able to see several diverse masterpieces of religious architecture at once. The Epiphany Cathedral, consecrated in 1853, was built according to Old Russian and Byzantine canons. Fedorovsky Church, framed by semicircular annexes with classic porticoes, is eclectic, and the Smolensk Church is patriarchally elegant.
- Schedule: daily, from 8:00 to 20:00.
- Phone: +7 485 322-38-68.
- Website: http://uglich-kazan-bm.cerkov.ru
- Address: Assumption Square, 7. Stop of the Assumption Square transport.
Uglich recalls the colorful merchant past of the only surviving portal of the local Passage and the Kazan Church, dominating the Assumption Square. It is interesting that the church, consecrated in 1778, is already the fourth religious building built on this site. Its predecessors methodically destroyed fires. By the way, the temple, which tourists admire today, also burned twice in 1793 and 1921, but was able to survive. The elegant structure, built of brick, looks unusual. The fact is that the building itself was erected according to the canons of the Baroque, but the elegant bell tower, which was later attached to the main volume, is decorated in the style of classicism.
Nativity of the Baptist Church
- Address: st. Spasskaya, 14. Stop of the Assumption Square transport.
Another amazing temple decorating Uglich is not difficult to find near the Resurrection Monastery. It was built in 1690 on the site where previously stood the wooden churches desecrated and burned by the Polish-Lithuanian invaders in the time of the Time of Troubles. A successful local merchant N. Chepolosov financed the construction of the religious building. The merchant's generosity was prompted by the tragic death of a six-year-old son. Confirmation that this fact is a historical event, and not a legend, was unexpectedly received in the middle of the last century. Then the scientists who carried out the restoration of the temple found in the wall a walled-up niche with the ashes of young John Chepolosov. The exterior of the church attracts attention with an elegant tented bell tower, a luxuriously decorated porch and a delightful tiled facade decoration.
- Schedule: daily, from 9:00 to 15:00.
- Phone: +7 485 325-02-81.
- Website: http://uglich-korsun-bm.cerkov.ru
- Address: st. Narimanova, 5A. Stop transport "Seagull Stadium."
Another remarkable temple can be seen at the entrance to the city from Yaroslavl. Here, on the site of the destroyed ancient monastery, was erected in the XVIII century. graceful church. During the construction of the building, the workers discovered the ancient image of the Mother of God “Korsunskaya”, in the name of which the religious construction was consecrated. The five-domed temple, crowned with blue domes, looks amazing. Its main decoration is a five-tiered octagonal bell tower, decorated in the best Baroque traditions. The main shrine of the church is a miraculous title icon attracting thousands of pilgrims.
Museum of Superstition and Myths
- Schedule: daily, from 11:00 to 17:00.
- Ticket price: 100 r.
- Phone: +7 485 324-14-67.
- Website: http://sueverija.narod.ru
- Address: st. January 9, 40. Stop Gorelektroset transport.
Familiarizing with the museum exposition will be interesting for both young travelers and their parents. Visitors to the institution will learn a lot about the gloomy heroes of fairy tales, legends, legends - kikimora, brownies, ghouls, Baba Yaga.Guests will visit the home of the mistress of the fairy forest, touch the magic stupa and pomelo, with the help of which it moves through the air, see a rich collection of amulets, the famous sword-treasure trove. Near very realistic wax doubles of creepy characters it is worth taking a selfie.
Museum of Folk Toys
- Schedule: daily, from 10:00 to 18:00 in the summer, from November to April inclusive except Monday and Tuesday.
- Ticket price: adult 150 rubles, children 80 rubles.
- Phone: +7 485 322-30-75.
- Website: http://uglichkukla.narod.ru
- Address: st. October 5/3. Bus stop "Rostovskaya Street".
Not a single child will refuse to visit this wonderful place. Still would! It demonstrates a huge number of colorful folk toys from around the planet. The exhibits exhibited at the museum are painstakingly assembled in different regions of Russia. A significant part of the collection consists of toys brought from countries of Southeast Asia, India, Japan, and China. By the way, young visitors can take part in a master class and make a rag doll or a ceramic whistle with their own hands.
- Schedule: daily, from 10:00 to 18:00.
- Ticket price: adult 250 rubles, children's 200 rubles.
- Phone: +7 915 993-43-63.
- Address: st. O. Berggolz, 3. Stop the transport "Central Market".
In 2017, Uglich acquired another museum, which the child will visit with pleasure. The meeting of the institution consists of several dozen bicycles produced on an industrial scale or made by hands of nugget designers. Among the numerous representatives of one, two, and three-wheeled fraternities there are unique rarities. Here you can admire a wooden runbike, pioneer bicycles with different-sized wheels, exclusive and racing models. By the way, the exhibits are not only for inspection. At some rarities, visitors are offered a ride.
Read also about sights. Rybinsk, Pereslavl-Zalessky, Rostov the Great and Yaroslavl.
Uglich quite successfully competes with the title city of the Yaroslavl region in terms of popularity among domestic and foreign tourists. Having visited the policy, it is easy to immerse yourself in the romantic atmosphere of epics, legends, and legends. Everything is saturated with the very Russian spirit, about which the brilliant Pushkin wrote.
Chambers of Uglich Princes
The chambers in which the princes used to live are the oldest building in the architectural ensemble. It was built in 1481. But due to numerous reconstructions from the historical building, only the throne chamber was preserved. The rest was completed in the XVIII – XIX centuries.
During the construction of the Transfiguration Cathedral, builders were going to dismantle the chambers and use the brick for the new building. However, for some unknown reason this did not happen, due to which the chambers were preserved, and in the XVIII – XIX centuries they were restored with the help of local merchants. Restored interior interiors, added painting and stoves with tiles. Now in the princely chambers is a museum exposition that tells about the history of the principality.
- Where is: st. Kremlin, 1.
- Cost of visit: 70 rubles.
Church of Tsarevich Demetrius on the Blood
This building is the second oldest in the Kremlin ensemble. It is he who is seen by all tourists who sail to the city on a cruise ship. The church was built on the spot where they found the body of the murdered son of Ivan the Terrible. Around his death there are still many mysteries. Historians cannot come to a consensus: was it a murder or an accident? But the fact remains - on May 15, 1591, an eight-year-old child with a throat cut was found. First, a chapel was built at the place of death, and then a wooden temple was erected.
Construction began in 1677 and lasted 15 years. The church is very interesting both in appearance (red facade with white window frames and blue domes), and in the interior. Particularly distinguished painting. The artist who worked for her showed all the tragic events of the Tsarevich’s death - from the boy’s walk to the transportation of the body to Moscow.
- Where is: st. Kremlin, 2.
- Cost of visit: is free.
Epiphany (winter) cathedral
The one-domed cathedral was built in 1827. It is an extended structure with flat and one-color facades. The exterior, like the interior, is more like a secular rather than a religious building. Unfortunately, the original cathedral painting has not been preserved to this day.
During the USSR, the cathedral was a club. The temple was deprived of many details, leaving only columns; all murals were hidden under whitewashing. Now the cathedral houses a museum of ancient Russian painting and merchant portraits. In the summer the vocal ensemble “Ark” performs here.
- Where is: st. Kremlin.
- Cost of visit: is free.
Uglich History Museum
The oldest private museum in the city is in a carved wooden house. He began his work in 1989. It was then that they held the first excursion and music program with bells. From her went the first name of the museum - “Uglich ringing”. During this time, the museum was visited by representatives of more than 50 countries.
In 2009, the institution was renamed the Uglich Museum of History. Now he has been awarded numerous diplomas and diplomas of regional and national importance, as well as a medal of the All-Russian Society for the Protection of Monuments of History and Culture.
- Where is: st. Bahareva, 27.
- Working hours: daily from 9:00 to 21:00.
- Information about excursions and prices:uglitchskiezvony.narod.ru.
Museum of the History of Hydropower of Russia
In 2005, they decided to create a Training and Production Information Center for Hydropower (UPIC). Its discovery took place two years later. The former building of the hydroelectric power station of the 30-40s of the XX century was rebuilt under UPIC. Today, this center together with the museum will be of interest to both children and adults.
The museum occupies three floors and eleven halls. The exposition will tell how hydropower has developed in our country and around the world, will introduce prominent representatives of this profession, and will show how electricity is generated and transmitted. By the way, here guests will not find a single sign that says "Do not touch it with your hands!".
To create the museum, both Russian and foreign experience in industry expositions was used. It uses modern multimedia and sensory tools and guided layouts. Interactive programs and conferences for adults and children are regularly held in the cinema and conference rooms. There are no analogues of the hydropower museum in any country; its uniqueness is confirmed by leading experts. In 2011, the Center entered the top of “The Best Regional Museums of Russia”.
- Where is: st. Spasskaya, 33.
- Working hours: daily (except Monday) at 11:00, 14:00 and 16.00.
- Cost of visit: 250 rubles.
Museum-gallery of dolls of Olga Pavlycheva
Olga Pavlycheva is a skilled craftswoman and artist. She creates not just dolls, but real, living characters with her own unique emotions and characters. For this reason, her museum-gallery attracts tourists from all over the world. Most of the dolls are made using papier-mâché technique. They can also be pre-ordered, but for a decent amount.
In Uglich there is only a branch of the museum. The main exposition is presented in Myshkin. This small town is located only thirty kilometers from here, and there are plenty of interesting places there. Therefore, immediately admire the sights of Myshkin.
- Where is: st. O. Berggolz, 1/2.
- Working hours: daily from 10:00 to 18:00.
- Cost of visit: 100 rubles.
Museum of myths and superstitions of the Russian people
It can even be called creepy. No wonder the warning for impressionable visitors hangs at the entrance. Therefore, if you are one of these, it is better to choose a different museum for the tour.
All museum exhibits are made by Daria Alien and her husband. They themselves made stuffed animals, wax figures, sewed costumes for them. The tour is conducted by Baba Yaga. She will not only lead you through the halls, but also tell you about various popular beliefs and legends, teach you how to guess, and introduce ghouls and witches. Not without Brownie.
- Where is: st. January 9, 40.
- Working hours: from Tuesday to Sunday from 11:00 to 17:00.
- Cost of visit: 100 rubles.
Museum of the History of Russian Vodka
The Museum of the History of Russian Vodka was opened in 1998. It houses the first exposition dedicated to this traditional alcoholic drink. The city was not chosen by chance: it was Uglich, the birthplace of P. A. Smirnov (inventor of the vodka brand).
Visitors to the museum will see moonshine stills and bottling machines, vessels and labels from past centuries. But, of course, the collection of varieties of vodka produced at enterprises throughout the country is of particular value.
- Where is: st. Rostov, 1.
- Working hours: daily from 11:00 to 18:00.
- Cost of visit: 140 rubles.
Watch Museum "The Seagull"
It was in Uglich that the most famous Soviet watch factory Chaika was located. Unfortunately, he ceased to exist in 2006, but still remained in memory. And in the museum.
Guests will be told about the whole history of the plant and will be shown more than three thousand watches, which were made at different times. The first time the museum was opened back in 1975 in the factory entrance. In the second - in 2012.
- Where is: Rybinskoe sh., 20 A.
- Working hours: from Tuesday to Friday from 12:00 to 18:00, on Saturday - from 12:00 to 17:00.
- Cost of visit: 50 rubles.
Arsenal of unusual bicycles "Samokat"
The arsenal of unusual bicycles opened only in 2017, which made it the youngest Uglich museum. But, despite the still short working time, it is quite popular with tourists.
The museum presents a collection of historical bicycles from different eras. You look at the strange bikes of the XIX century and are more modern, you will even find wooden transport. If desired, you can rent Soviet brands and ride.
- Where is: st. Olga Berggolz, 3.
- Working hours: daily from 10:00 to 18:00.
- Prices for excursions:vk.com/samokat_ugl.
Church of the Nativity of John the Baptist
The church was built in the XVII century with the money of the merchant N. G. Chepolosov. He wanted to build a temple in honor of his murdered little son. During the restoration in the 1960s, they found his grave. The temple was made so elegantly and beautifully that even in the Soviet period it was not destroyed to build the Uglich hydroelectric power station.
- Where is: Spasskaya St., 14.
- Cost of visit: is free.
Shipping gateway of the Uglich hydroelectric station
The gateway is located next to the hydroelectric power station and is adjacent to the left bank of the Volga. Its width is ten meters, filling to the required level with water occurs in ten minutes, and emptying - in seven.
There is also a shipping channel with a length of almost one and a half kilometers. All cruise ships pass through the gateway, so if you travel by water, you will definitely see it. Especially the gateway is beautiful at night, when pleasant lighting is turned on.
- Where is: next to the street Spasskaya, 33.
- Cost of visit: is free.
The first mention of this monastery falls on the XIV century. It is believed that it was founded by the wife of Prince Dmitry Donskoy - Evdokia. Initially, all the buildings were wooden, but in the XVII – XVIII centuries they were replaced by stone ones. The heyday of the monastery came in the XIX century, when most of the buildings were added to it, including the sister corps. In Soviet times, the monastery did not work, it was revived only in the early 2000s.
- Where is: st. Campus, 12
- Cost of visit: is free.
Uglich is a unique ancient city. It is him who many consider the pearl of the Golden Ring of Russia. Therefore, after you explore the sights of Vladimir, feel free to go here.
You will find ancient temples with cathedrals, and modern, sometimes even frightening museums. Of course, not without the wonderful atmosphere of a cozy small town.
On the history, name and coat of arms of the city
Administratively Uglich is a district center in the Yaroslavl region, a city of regional subordination. In the XIII-XVI centuries, it was the capital of the Principality of Uglitz. Center on the Golden Ring. The city received the name, most likely, because the Volga River in this place forms a corner. Less likely versions are: “the place where the coals were burned out”, and “from the Slavic tribe“ the streets, who moved here from the Ugly River, a tributary of the Dnieper. ”
The founder of the city was voivode Jan Pleskovitich, a relative of Princess Olga. This military leader of Prince Igor, husband of Olga, came here with a squad to collect tribute from the local Slavic population. For this, he built a fortified point, surrounded by a picket fence - on a cape extending into the Volga. In which year it was, it is not known for certain: the local annals name various dates, of which the earliest is chosen: the 937th year.
The first mention of Uglich in the annals dates back to 1148, when it was called Uglich Field. Since 1218, the city became the capital of the specific principality. During the Mongol-Tatar invasion, Uglich was completely plundered and completely burned by the Mongol-Tatars, but over several decades it was restored and significantly expanded. In 1328, Prince Ivan Kalita annexed the city to the possessions of Moscow. In the era of internecine wars of Moscow and Tver, in 1371, it was taken and burned by the troops of the Tver Prince Mikhail. Uglich was restored and strengthened by Dmitry Donskoy.
The central street of Uglich in the old days.
The most significant event in the history of the city occurred in 1591. After the death of Ivan the Terrible in 1584, his 35-year-old son Fyodor became a sovereign, a weak mind and health, a superstitious and pious man (the actual ruler of Russia was the boyar Boris Godunov). The youngest son of Grozny, Dmitry, with his mother (the 7th or 8th wife of the king), was sent to Uglich.
On May 15, 1591, this eight-year-old boy died from a knife stuck in his neck. According to the official version, he had a seizure of epilepsy while playing a knife, and the prince injured himself. According to another, he was stabbed to death by hired assassins by order from Moscow, as a future contender for the throne. The truth remained unknown. The death of this last offspring of the tsarist dynasty plunged Russia into a decadent and bloody Time of Troubles, lasting more than two decades.
Uglich and its environs in the Time of Troubles were completely plundered by Polish interventionists, who ravaged and burned not only many houses, but also churches and monasteries, and with the massacres of priests, monks and nuns.
In 1778, a coat of arms appeared near the city: the image of the deceased Tsarevich Dmitry, with a knife in his hands, on a scarlet field. With all the kings and Soviet power, Uglich remained a purely provincial city, standing apart from the main trade and economic routes and railway lines. Largely due to this, he retained a special old Russian appearance.
The deceased or killed Tsarevich Dmitry was canonized. His image, in royal attire, on a bloody background, became the coat of arms of the city of Uglich.
Assumption Square is the center of Uglich. In antiquity, it was lined with shopping malls and performed the functions of the bazaar and fair. Nowadays, a large number of museums, shops and souvenir shops go to the central square. There are attractions for children, and in winter they organize slides for skating.
Church of Demetrius on the Blood. Bell exiled to Siberia
This temple was built on the site of the death of Tsarevich Demetrius. First, this place was marked with a wooden chapel, then (in 1630) they built a wooden church on the blood of Dimitry. And in 1692 she was replaced by stone. The southern facade of the building has been preserved in its original form. And the collapsing northern facade in the XIX century was redone, with the addition of an extension to it. The painting of the inner walls, which can still be seen now, was completed a century after the construction of the temple, in accordance with the version of the villainous assassination of the prince, rooted at that time.
The walls of the church are painted with scenes of the murder of a boy and the massacre of a crowd of people over his killers. The fact is that when the news of the death of the king’s son spread throughout the city, riots broke out in Uglich. They were accompanied by pogroms, killings and mob mob riots over the boy’s real or imaginary killers.
Church of Demetrius on the Blood. Now it has a museum.
During the investigation of these outrages of the crowd in Uglich, about two hundred people were subsequently executed. The bell, on whose alarm the crowd gathered, was thrown to the ground, carved with whips and cut off his tongue. And the rioters sent to hard labor dragged this bell to Siberia. Now this bell, returned to Uglich in 1892, is on display at the museum, located in the temple of Demetrius on the blood. Along with other interesting exhibits from the era of the Russian Middle Ages.
Church of Tsarevich Demetrius on the field
Another church is dedicated to the tragically dead or murdered prince - the temple of Demetrius on the field. It was built on the spot where, according to legend, his blood was dripped from the cart on which the boy’s body was taken from the city. This happened outside the city, on the Rostov road. Now this place is located inside the city, surrounded by other buildings and residential buildings. But the historical name of the church "on the field" remains.
Church of Tsarevich Demetrius on the field.
Church of the Archangel Michael "Boron"
Near the city, right in the dense forest, is the ancient church of the Archangel Michael, built, presumably, back in the 15th century. This strange place of construction, according to legend, was indicated to the creators of the church in some mystical way. A monastic monastery was formed at the temple, also utterly devastated by the Poles in Troubles.
Church of the Archangel Michael "in the forest."
The church never stopped its work, even in the era of "militant atheism" of the first years of Soviet power. The attraction of this place is an old cemetery, where prominent church and secular figures of Uglich and the surrounding area were buried. It is all lined with ancient grave monuments, crosses and slabs - with semi-erased from time to time, or still read by ancient inscriptions and epitaphs.
The building of the City Council, erected in 1815, is an example of the style of Russian classicism. In addition to the Duma, it housed the city government, courts, banks, archives and schools. The originality of the building is that it has two main facades, they are completely identical, they only go on different sides: one on the city square, the other on the Kremlin.
The house of merchants Zimin is a great example of a rich urban mansion of the 19th century. It was built by order of the wealthy Zimin merchant family in 1805, in the area of Pyatnitskaya (now Soviet) Square. Representatives of the aristocracy, up to the members of the imperial family, who came to Uglich, stayed in this strong, solid house with a mezzanine. And in Soviet times, the estate was used more than once by filmmakers for filming.
Watch Factory Museum "The Seagull"
The museum, located in the building of the central entrance of the famous Soviet enterprise - the Chaika watch factory, has existed since 1975 and has the richest collection of watches and wall clocks of all time, as well as archives, photo documents, etc.
In the museum of the watch factory "The Seagull".
The Uglich Legends House Museum
The museum is located in the historic building of the first hotel in the Uglich merchant Alexei Posnov. The exhibition has many amazing rarities and relics. For example, the first telephone in the city that still works (but only for receiving calls). The piano of the 18th century and the gramophone of the beginning of the 20th century are also in working condition. During the tour, a story is heard not only about the legendary relics, but also about famous people of Uglich.
An old telephone set in the Uglich Legends Museum
Address: st. Spasskaya, 2
Museum "Library of Russian Vodka"
A serf at the beginning of his life, a millionaire and the world famous vodka tycoon - in adulthood, Pyotr Smirnov was a native of the village of Kayurovo, Uglich Uyezd. The progenitor of the transnational trademark Smirnoff is dedicated to the Russian Library of Vodka Museum in Uglich. Here is a large collection of old distillation and purification apparatuses, according to which one can trace their improvement and entry to the industrial level. Antique bottles of various shapes and volumes, labels, the first bottling machine and, of course, an extensive collection of vodka in bottles from around the world. There is a tasting room and a shop where you can buy your favorite sample.
Museum exhibits that are well known to any person “originally from the USSR”.
Prison Art Museum "Closed Area"
The museum will reveal to visitors the secrets of creating real works of art created by prisoners. Including sculptures made of bread, the outlines of which are given with salt and pepper, figurines made of wood and metal, a guitar that makes sounds of crying, homemade weapons, installations of metal shavings and stone chips, a copy of the Sistine Madonna, burned on plywood, etc. . Moreover, all the exhibits are genuine, collected from prisons and colonies of the Yaroslavl region. Separately, letters from places of deprivation of liberty to relatives are presented. They help to re-evaluate the benefits of living in freedom, no matter how insignificant they may seem. The interior of the prison cell has been recreated to the smallest detail; you can try on a prisoner's robe and take a picture on a bunk or with a guide who is dressed in the uniform of a UIN employee. The museum’s store sells books about the life of prisoners, dictionaries of thieves' jargon and tattoos of prisoners.
In the Museum of Prison Art "Closed Area".
Puppet Museum of Olga Pavlycheva
The founder of this museum managed to create an atmosphere of a mischievous and carefree childhood. Dolls from this vast collection are made of the most diverse - traditional and unusual materials. Each of them is unique and peculiar in its own way. Dolls represent shepherdesses, girls in elegant costumes, mischievous pranks, harlequins, clowns, young ladies in dresses of past eras and their gentlemen, popular literary characters, in dresses of folklore motifs.
In the museum of dolls by Olga Pavlycheva.
In the village of Ivashkovo, near Uglich, in a rural estate there is a Workhorse Museum. The mistress of the estate is an artist, an ethnographer, a well-known collector and storyteller of Russian folk tales, songs, legends and beliefs Daria Alien. The museum provides an opportunity to stay in a real Russian log hut, listen to fairy tales, explore a homestead with a variety of animals, ride horses.
At the workhorse museum
And also taste the delicious peasant dishes made from natural products - fresh, still hot bread with crisp, fragrant gull on herbs, homemade beer, crepes with sour cream ... In winter and summer these enthusiastic people (who, by the way, moved to the outback from Petersburg) they themselves bake bread, collect mushrooms and berries, embroider, look after cattle, do the usual peasant affairs.
Uglich is located on the Volga River, 200 km north-north-east of Moscow and 97 km west of Yaroslavl. You can get from Moscow to Uglich by train from the Belorussky railway station, or by bus, which leaves from the Shchelkovsky bus station. The distance by road from the capital to Uglich will be 235 km. You need to go along the Yaroslavl highway to Sergiev Posad, and then follow the signs for Uglich.