The first mention of Murom, as one of the estates of the legendary Rurik, is found in chronicles of 862. This fact gives the city the right to enter the host of the oldest Russian policies. The ancient history of Murom is shrouded in legends. He either rose to the center of the specific princedom, then vegetated in oblivion, after being burned by the Mongol hordes, and at the end of the fourteenth century. became part of Muscovy. In recent times, the city has acquired industry, has become an important regional cultural and educational center. Murom sights, photos and descriptions of which are presented in the article, attract many tourists to the old city policy on the banks of the Oka. They treat the past with care, therefore historical monuments are in good condition.
Monument to Ilya Muromets
- Address: Oksky Park. Stop transport "Cinema October".
The most famous native of the Murom region is Russian Hercules - the invincible hero Ilya from the nearby village of Karacharovo. The exploits of the epic hero who defeated the Nightingale the Robber are described in numerous legends. In the summer of 1999, a monument to the legendary hero appeared in the city. The height of the bronze sculpture of Elijah, dressed in armor and raising his sword above his head, is 21 m. A monk's cloak is thrown on the shoulders of the hero, who turned his gaze towards the Oka, on which in ancient times the borders of the Russian land passed. The sculpture is incredibly expressive. It seems to exude power and unwaveringness.
- Address: st. Lakina, 1. Stop transport "Shop Alyonushka."
The history of this “business card” of Murom is filled with vivid events. The monastery, founded by legend in 1096 by Prince Gleb Vladimirovich, reached its heyday during the reign of Ivan the Terrible. It was at his command on the territory of the complex that the architects erected a large cathedral and several other stone buildings. During the era of church reform by Patriarch Nikon, the monastery became a stronghold of the Old Believers, and after the October Revolution, the structures of the NKVD and the Red Army were located here. Only at the end of the last century the monastery was returned to the monks. Today you can admire the Transfiguration Cathedral, the Gate and the Transfiguration Church, the buildings of the Refectory, Bratsk and Abbot buildings, built in the XVI-XIX centuries.
- Address: Bypass section of the Vladimir - Arzamas highway.
In the fall of 2009, the old Russian city acquired yet another landmark attraction - an elegant cable-stayed bridge. The length of the infrastructure facility is 1.4 km with a width of 15 m. Steel ropes are held on the canvas, fixed on three paired supports 90 m high. For all its massiveness, the structure looks very elegant. This is noted not only by tourists, but also by specialists. In 2013, the unique engineering construction was recognized by the Federal Road Agency as the most beautiful bridge in Russia.
Monument to Peter and Fevronia
- Address: Peasant Square. Bus stop "Peasant Square".
Murom saints - Prince Peter and Princess Fevronia are considered in Russia a symbol of love, fidelity, inviolability of marriage. Therefore, it is not surprising that the monument to the faithful is among the iconic sights of the city. A sculptural composition in honor of the princely couple, cast in bronze, appeared on Peasant Square in Murom in the summer of 2012. Peter, with a sword in his hand, represents strength and courage, and Fevronia, who threw a veil over her husband’s shoulders, is the wisdom inherent in the keeper of the hearth. At the feet of the spouses a rabbit settled - a symbol of meekness and fertility. Do not forget to rub the nose of the furry animal. Muromets believe that this brings good luck.
Monument "Murom Kalach"
- Address: st. Lenin. Stop transport "Cinema October".
Kalach is the same symbol for Murom as for Tula famous gingerbread. The city with good reason claims the right to be called the birthplace of this type of baking, because a delicious treat has been baked here since 1862. Moreover, the image of a kalach adorns the coat of arms of the polis. The art object is not impressive in size, but it looks very realistic. The magnificent muffin with a diameter of about a meter, it seems, has just left the oven. Ceramic kalach is mounted on a hexagonal pedestal with heraldic symbols of the city.
- Address: st. Lenin, 15. Stop transport "School number 3".
Today, few people know that the water supply system appeared in Murom earlier than in the provincial Vladimir. However, this is so. Already in the summer of 1864, the townspeople got rid of the need to daily stock up on the life-giving moisture from the Oka, rising with full buckets along the steep slope of the coast. The distribution of water among infrastructure facilities and residential areas was carried out through a water tower. This building, which remained until the beginning of the last century the tallest building in Murom, has been perfectly preserved to this day. The three-story tower, erected according to the canons of classicism, is crowned by a six-sided drum with a spire. It is still part of the city’s water supply system.
- Address: section of the street between the “Labor Square” and the “Square of the 1100th anniversary of Murom”. Stop transport "Cinema progress."
To get an idea of what Moore was like a century and a half ago, it is enough to take a walk along Moskovskaya Street, along which the then-urban elite built the mansions. Especially a lot of historical buildings have been preserved in two blocks adjacent to the area of the 1100th anniversary of Murom. In addition to merchant and aristocratic houses, tourists can admire the Ascension Church, the chapel of Michael the Archangel, several squares, sculptures, and a fountain.
- Address: Vladimirskoe highway. Stop of transport "Post traffic police".
Another interesting monument is seen by everyone who enters the city from the regional center. A massive block of stone is installed here, on which the sculptor carved the face of Ilya Muromets, dressed in a helmet. A quote from the annals of 862 is carved below on a boulder. It is this year that dates back to the first mention of Murom in the “Tale of Bygone Years”. The original monument was created in 1967.
Armored Train Ilya Muromets
- Address: Park them. 50th anniversary of Soviet power. Stop transport "water canal".
In 1942, the workers of the Murom depot at inopportune times made an armored train for the Red Army, sheathed with 25 mm armor with four artillery sites. As part of the division of armored trains, "Ilya Muromets" went through the whole war and met Victory in the vicinity of Berlin. On the combat account of the crew of the formidable train, there are several downed Luftwaffe aircraft and destroyed enemy batteries. In addition, in the artillery duel Ilya Muromets defeated the fascist armored train Adolf Hitler. Since 1971, a combat vehicle has been resting in an eternal parking lot in one of the city parks.
Museum of History and Art
- Schedule: on weekdays from 10:00 to 18:00, on weekends from 11:00 to 19:00.
- Ticket price: adult 80 p., Student 50 p., Preschoolers are skipped for free.
- Phone: +7 492 343-35-47.
- Website: http://www.museum-murom.ru
- Address: st. Moskovskaya, 13. Stop transport "Cinema progress."
The doors of the local museum of local history were first opened to visitors on January 1, 1919. Today, the funds of the institution have more than 95 thousand storage units. Of particular value is the collection of ancient Russian art. Visitors are always interested in exhibitions of artifacts found by archaeologists during excavations in Murom and its environs. Among the exhibits you can see such rarities as wick and silicon guns of the 17th century, armor of Russian knights. A separate section of the exhibition is devoted to the flora and fauna of the Murom land.
- Schedule: daily, from 10:00 to 18:00.
- Ticket price: adult 80 p., Student 50 p., Preschoolers are skipped for free.
- Phone: +7 492 343-23-59.
- Website: http://www.museum-murom.ru
- Address: st. Pervomayskaya, 6. Stop of the transport “Peasant Square”.
Part of the exposition of IHM is displayed in the halls of the mansion once occupied by the City Duma. The collections of Western European and Russian art of the 17th – 19th centuries are exhibited here. In addition to paintings, prints and sculptures, visitors will be able to see a collection of old porcelain, Empire bronze, antique furniture by German masters of the 18th century. The gallery has a magnificent collection of antique watches, candlesticks, candelabra, Italian majolica.
- Schedule: daily, from 10:00 to 17:00, on a call until 24:00.
- Ticket price: adult 300 rubles, children's 150 rubles.
- Phone: +7 929 028-03-80.
- Website: http://museum.computer.ru
- Address: Peasant Square, 6V. Bus stop "Peasant Square".
Museum visitors are offered a retrospective journey through the world of cybernetics. The exposition presents a variety of computer models - from IBM-286, manufactured in 1981, to portable laptops. Today's students will be able to get acquainted with the predecessors of USB-drives - floppy disks, tape cassettes, baboons, video equipment, which has long been replaced by modern electronic devices. The museum has a gorgeous collection of disc phones and cameras. Guests are offered a fascinating interactive tour of Murom with 3D glasses.
- Schedule: daily, from 7:00 to 19:00.
- Phone: + 7 492 342-05-02.
- Address: st. Krasnoarmeyskaya, 17. Stop transport "Peasant Square".
The history of the man’s monastery, founded in 1553 at the behest of Ivan the Terrible, is full of events. At the beginning of the XVII century, it was destroyed by the Poles, and two centuries later it experienced a terrible fire. In 1940 the monastery was closed. He was transferred to monks only 50 years later. The monastery complex consists of a white stone cathedral, the gateway Stefanievskaya church, the chapels of Apollonius of Murom and Seraphim of Sarov, the cell building. The relics contain the relics of the Orthodox saints Prince Constantine, Princess Irina, and the Princes Mikhail and Fedor. The monastery is surrounded by a high brick wall with four corner towers.
- Schedule: daily, from 6:30 to 19:00.
- Phone: + 7 492 342-26-48.
- Address: 3A Peasant Square. Bus stop "Peasant Square".
The girl’s monastery in the name of the Holy Trinity was erected on the site of the lost Borisoglebsky Cathedral in the middle of the XVII century. The dominant architectural ensemble is the Trinity Church. The cathedral, built in the style of Russian patterned, looks very elegant. Its walls are decorated with tiles, and over five chapels rise gilded wrought-iron crosses of fine work. In addition, the monastery complex includes the Gate Church of Our Lady of Kazan, covered with a tent and an elegant slotted bell tower. The relics of Saints Peter and Fevronia are considered the main shrine of the monastery, tens of thousands of pilgrims come to bow every year.
Nicholas Embankment Church
- Schedule: daily, from 7:00 to 19:00.
- Phone: + 7 492 343-12-33.
- Address: st. Plekhanova, 27A. Bus stop "Peasant Square".
The most elegant temple of Murom is located on the promenade and during floods, water often approaches directly at the foot of the hill on which it is built. The first mention in the annals of the church dates from 1566. After a century and a half, instead of a dilapidated wooden church, a new stone was built. Until the closure in 1940, a miraculous image of St. Nicholas was stored under his canopy, later transferred to the historical museum. However, even today pilgrims seek to get here in order to kneel before the relics of the local saint Julian Lazarevskaya.
Church of Cosmas and Damian
- Schedule: the church does not work. You can inspect it from the outside at any time of the day.
- Address: st. Embankment, 10. Stop transport "Belyakova Square."
Several legends are associated with a small temple erected in 1564 on the banks of the Oka. According to one of them, a one-domed church was built on the spot where Ivan the Terrible’s tent was installed before going to Kazan. According to another version, the king ordered in this way to perpetuate the memory of the Murom blacksmiths brothers, sent by scouts to the enemy camp and martyred. Some historians believe that the creators of Moscow's St. Basil the Blessed Church were the Pskov architects Postnik and Barma. The temple looks very elegant. The white-stone octagon covers a luxurious sixteen-domed dome crowned with an elegant onion.
Museum "Bread Chamber"
- Schedule: daily, except Monday, from 9:00 to 18:00.
- Ticket price: from 150 r. up to 400 p.
- Phone: +7 904 955-69-58.
- Website: http://hleb-gornica.ru
- Address: st. Amosova, 48. Bus stop "Employment Center".
Visiting a unique museum, founded eight years ago, will be interesting to all family members. During the tour, you can learn literally everything about the history of the famous Kalach and other types of pastries, which Moore is famous for. The exhibition presents utensils that have long been used by local bakers, creating their unsurpassed muffins. A visit to the museum ends with a tea party, to which delicious pastries from the best masters of the Murom Baker enterprise are served. For children, workshops are held on the artistic painting of gingerbread.
Theater-Museum of Ilya Muromets
- Schedule: from Thursday to Saturday, from 10:00 to 16:00.
- Ticket price: from 150 r. up to 300 p.
- Phone: +7 905 562-22-56.
- Website: teatr-muzey-im.com
- Address: st. Kommunisticheskaya, 33. Stop of transport "Communist Street".
From visiting this wonderful museum, the kids are delighted. Still would! Here you can try on the helmet of an epic hero, make a real amulet with your own hands, try to overdo the famous robber Nightingale. During an interactive tour, visitors are introduced to the traditions of the Murom land, the feats of the epic hero, the customs and culture of peasants from the Russian hinterland. Guests will be able to taste the dishes of heroic cuisine, which gave Ilya Muromets a remarkable strength.
- Schedule: daily, from 10:00 to 21:00.
- Phone: + 7 492 342-03-77.
- Address: st. Pervomayskaya, 8. Stop transport "Cinema October."
You can have a great time with your whole family in the park, broken up at the place where the wooden Murom Kremlin once stood. Here, among centuries-old lindens, well-groomed alleys with flower beds are laid, which make it so pleasant to stroll on hot summer days. For children, more than a dozen attractions work. Those wishing to see the Murom from a bird's eye view are invited to ride on the Ferris Wheel. On the territory of the park is the Walk of Fame and a monument to Ilya Muromets.
Every self-respecting traveler should visit the homeland of an epic Russian hero - the hero of many epics and legends. The city of the Golden Ring of Russia, in the form of which the past and the present are intricately interwoven, is able to charm the most demanding tourist.
4. Murom Kalach
Murom Kalach is considered one of the city symbols. The monument to delicacies was erected in 2012 near the central market. It is a 100-pound model about 2 meters high. The monument appeared in Murom thanks to the initiative of a local entrepreneur and was made at his expense. There is a belief that if you approach the sculpture closer, you can feel the warmth and even the smell of fresh pastries.
5. The area of the 1100th anniversary of Murom
The central city square, the first mention of which dates back to the 16th century. The main architectural building that shapes its appearance is the city government building, built in the 1960s in the style of Soviet-style constructivism. Also on the square there is a small fountain and a flower alley.During official and national holidays this place is beautifully decorated with sculptures, arches of ribbons and flowers, decorative trees.
6. Moscow street
The street is one of the oldest in Murom - the first stone houses, now considered monuments of urban planning, were built here. Today, in these mansions, as before, there are restaurants, shops, hotels and administrative institutions. The main attractions are the Church of the Ascension, built in 1729, the city art museum and park.
7. The village of Karacharovo
Today, Karacharovo is one of the regions of Murom, previously it was a separate village. The famous Ilya of Muromets was born and lived here for some time (before moving to the service of the Kiev prince). The first mention of the estate belongs to the XVII century - then the land belonged to the family of the princes Cherkassky, later they passed to the Sheremetyevs. Karacharovo was included in the city limits in 1960.
11. Resurrection Monastery
Another convent in Murom, dating back several centuries of history. According to legend, the monastery was built on the site of one of the palaces of Peter and Fevronia. The monastery existed until 1764, after which it was abolished by decree of Catherine II. Moreover, all the lands were confiscated in favor of the state, and the monastery churches became parish. Only in 1998 did monastic life resume here.
14. Ascension Cathedral
Ascension Cathedral was built in 1729. According to written evidence, a cold church had previously stood here. The building is a three-apse five-headed building with a bell in the form of a tent. Services went until the 1920s, then the religious institution was closed and the domes removed from it. The re-consecration of the cathedral took place in 1999, the bell tower was restored almost immediately.
15. Murom Museum of History and Art
The collection was founded in 1919 at the suggestion of a local resident V.I. Zhadin - a scientist, doctor of biological sciences. The museum exposition occupies four mansions, which are architectural monuments, and consists of archaeological, art and historical exhibits. The main branch is located in the construction of the XVIII - XIX centuries, previously owned by the Zvorykin family.
16. Museum "Bread Chamber"
The museum appeared in Murom in 2010, the initiator of the exhibition was the private enterprise Murom Baker. The collection is dedicated to the craft that has long flourished in Murom - the manufacture and baking of a variety of goodies, especially gingerbread and rolls. The museum organizes interesting thematic excursions for visitors, some of which are dedicated to public holidays.
17. Armored train "Ilya Muromets"
An armored troop built in 1941–42 for the Red Army. The train was used during World War II. Thanks to the 45 mm armor, he did not receive serious damage during the fighting. With its help, several enemy aircraft, artillery batteries and the German armored train "Adolf Hitler" were destroyed. In 1971, "Ilya Muromets" was sent to the parking lot.
20. Murom cable-stayed bridge
A modern bridge over the Oka River, built in 2009. It connects Murom and the city of Navashino, which already belongs to the Nizhny Novgorod region. The length of the structure is about 1.4 km, width - 15 meters. It is possible car and pedestrian traffic. In 2013, the bridge received the honorary title of the most beautiful in Russia, ahead of the number of votes even the grandiose pontoons built on Siberian rivers.
Church of St. Nicholas
Nikolo-Naberezhnaya church, erected at the beginning of the 18th century, also belongs to the oldest temples of Murom. The church has retained its original appearance from the time of its construction, so that tourists can admire the beautifully preserved architecture, designed in the Baroque style. In 1940, the temple was abolished, and 10 years later a poultry farm was located in it. Since the late 1960s, the temple has been empty. It was planned to establish a sculpture museum in it. During the years of perestroika, the church was again opened for parishioners. The temple was restored, and now it is in excellent condition.
Church of St. Nicholas
Church of Cosmas and Damian
The small and original Cosmodemyan temple will also be interesting to visit for guests of Murom. This church was built on the site where the camp of Tsar Ivan the Terrible was located in the 16th century before going to Kazan. Local traditions say that the temple is named after the blacksmiths of Cosmas and Damian, who played an important role in the conquest of Kazan. The church has been abandoned since the 19th century due to a collapsed dome. In 2009, the reconstruction of the shrine began. Now, a metal dome decorated with kokoshniks rises above the temple. Restoration of the interior of the church is carried out at the present time.
Church of Cosmas and Damian
Church of the Presentation of the Lord
The beautiful Holy Sretensky Church in Murom was erected at the end of the 18th century on the site where a small wooden church was previously located. The new shrine was built on the initiative of the merchant Ivan Nikiforovich Zvorykin. At the end of the XIX century, the temple was rebuilt, significantly expanding it. After the October Revolution, all valuables were removed from the shrine, and in 1929 it was closed. For 58 years, various institutions have been located in the temple. In 1997, it was returned to the church and began to be restored. For 4 years, it was possible to restore the facades of the church and its beautiful interior.
Church of the Presentation of the Lord
At the end of the 18th century, the stone Assumption Church was erected in Murom, which today is included in the list of the main attractions of the city. The church was built with funds donated by the merchant D.I. Likhonin. In 1835, a bell tower was added to the temple. Large-scale reconstruction in the temple was carried out at the beginning of the XX century. Under Soviet rule, a significant part of the shrine was destroyed, but services were still held in it. In 1940, the temple was abolished. Only during the years of perestroika he was returned to the church. After a long reconstruction, the church was again open to parishioners.
Guests of Murom have the opportunity to see in the city many ancient civil buildings. Tourists will be interested in visiting the beautifully preserved spacious shopping malls built in the first half of the 19th century. For two centuries, this building has been the center of commerce in the city. The beautiful architecture of the malls, made in the classical style, admires. The building has repeatedly become an excellent decoration when shooting historical films. At present, it is recognized as an architectural monument of national importance.
The architectural monument of Murom is a female gymnasium, built at the end of the 19th century on the initiative of the head of the city A.V. Ermakov. In this new beautiful educational institution, all the girls who wanted to go to university or academy dreamed of studying. The building has been preserved in its original form to this day. Built of red brick, it is decorated with carved cornices and balustrades that give it romanticism. Currently, the building houses a teacher training college.
Tourists are advised to visit the printing house in Murom, the construction of which dates from the middle of the XIX century. At first, this house belonged to the wealthy and successful lawyer S.V. Rusakov. One-story building is striking in its simplicity and sophistication. Although its facades are decorated only with carved platbands, arranged above high windows, the building has an attractive appearance. Under the Soviet regime, a printing house was set up in the mansion, which still works today.
The architectural monuments of Murom include the building of the Real School, built in the city in the second half of the 19th century. The project of a beautiful building was compiled in Moscow by unknown architects. The building, built of red brick, is decorated with white accents, which looks very nice. The opening of the school was facilitated by the noble people of Murom, who were part of the local Duma: F. D. Zvorykin and S. F. Simonov. It is noteworthy that students from poor families who showed the ability to master the sciences were paid a scholarship back in the 19th century.
At the beginning of the 20th century, another building was built in Murom, which today is a landmark of the city - the railway station. The design of this building was compiled by an architect from Moscow, M. A. Durnov. The Art Nouveau building resembles the Moscow Kremlin. This was facilitated by the participation in the development of the project of the famous architect A.V. Shchusev. The railway station consists of larger and smaller architectural elements, which makes it look like a fortress.
Murom’s architectural monuments include the mansion built in the first half of the 19th century by the wealthy merchant Shvedov. In 1862, the house was bought by the merchant Karatygin. Since 1890, the building was empty. Unfortunately, the once majestic mansion is currently in poor condition. But, despite the neglected state, the mansion impresses tourists with its beautiful features of architecture made in the Empire style.
Another architectural monument of the city is a mansion bought in 1846 by the rich merchant F.V. Suzdaltsev. The main facade of the magnificent house is decorated with massive columns and a balcony, located on the second floor. Due to the beautiful architecture, the mansion is a real decoration of the Red Army Street, where you can see other ancient buildings. At present, the building needs urgent reconstruction, without which it will begin to collapse in the near future.
Manor of Count Uvarov
Guests of Murom should visit the Uvarovs estate, built in the XVIII century. Here, tourists can admire the beautiful manor house, outbuildings and some preserved working rooms. Under Soviet rule, the estate was nationalized. A rest house for workers was set up on the estate, and then a plywood factory was opened in it. In 2007, the estate was recognized as an architectural monument, but restoration work on the buildings was never carried out. But even in this state, buildings made in the classical style are striking in their beauty and grandeur.
Manor of Count Uvarov
Theological school building
Theological school appeared in Murom at the end of the 18th century. In the 1880s, it moved from the Annunciation Monastery to a new building, designed by architect V.F. Afanasyev. Within a few years, the question arose of expanding the educational institution. The planning for the completion of the building was entrusted to the architect N. D. Koritsky. According to his project, a wing was erected, the facades of which harmoniously combined with the decoration of the main building. Under Soviet rule, the school was closed. Since then, a school has been located in it. The building is currently an architectural monument.
Theological school building
House of Culture named after the 1100th anniversary of Murom
The guests of Murom are also interested in the beautiful House of Culture, built in the city in 1962. Its opening was timed to the 1100th anniversary of the founding of the city. The construction of the building lasted about 15 years under the supervision of architect N. A. Bespalov. Materials for the design of facades and interiors were brought from many cities. The marble that decorated the walls of the House of Culture was delivered from the capital of Russia, the equipment was made by the masters of Saratov, and the furniture was brought from St. Petersburg. In the House of Culture today you can see beautiful theatrical performances, concerts of local and visiting artists and groups.
House of Culture named after the 1100th anniversary of Murom
Monument "Union of love - wise marriage"
In Murom, the memory of Princes Peter and Fevronia is sacredly honored. In the city, 2 monuments were erected in their honor. The most noteworthy is the sculptural composition “Union of Love - Wise Marriage”. It was installed near the city registry office in 2008. Since then, a festival has been held annually in Murom, which is called "Day of Family, Love and Fidelity."
Peter and Fevronia showed by their example that there are no barriers to love. When Peter became a prince, the townspeople demanded that he leave his peasant wife. But Peter chose to sail away to foreign lands, if only to stay with his beloved. After some time, the townspeople asked the couple to return and manage the city.
Monument "Union of love - wise marriage"
The modern attraction of Murom is a beautiful spiral bridge connecting the banks of the Oka River since 2009. Newlyweds come to him to take beautiful photographs against the backdrop of amazing landscapes. In 2013, the bridge was recognized as the most beautiful similar construction in all of Russia. After that, a memorial plate was installed on one of the bridge supports, confirming the victory of the Murom Bridge in such a prestigious competition. The length of the structure is 1.4 km.
One of the most beautiful places of Murom is the Embankment, located along the picturesque banks of the Oka. It will be interesting to walk for all tourists. Various events are often held on the Embankment, at which many residents of the city gather. In the summer months, you can relax on the nearby beach or just admire the city surrounded by greenery. In the evening, various games are held on the Embankment, in which extreme lovers will be interested in participating.
A favorite place for meetings and pleasant walks among the residents of Murom is Ermakova Square, which is recommended for visitors to the city. This place was founded in 2012 in honor of the mayor A.V. Ermakov, who made a huge contribution to the development of Murom. The square was equipped with funds raised by entrepreneurs and residents of the city. The creation of this beautiful place was entrusted to landscape architect Marina Baranova. A monument to A. V. Ermakov created by sculptor Vladimir Surovtsev was erected in the square.
Murom will impress with its beauty every tourist who decides to visit this ancient city. To make sure of this, just look at the photo with a description of its most interesting sights, which are posted in the article. Since many historical buildings are undergoing restoration, it can be assumed that in the near future there will be even more historical and architectural monuments in the city.
Briefly about Murom
Murom is the center of the Murom region of the Vladimir region. It stretches along the high bank of the Volga tributary - the Oka River, 140 km from Vladimir, near the Nizhny Novgorod region. It covers an area of 43.78 square meters. km, the population is about 110 thousand people.
The old quarters of Murom are almost entirely built up with monasteries, churches and ancient two-story houses
The first written mention of Murom dates back to 862. This year is considered to be the birth date of the city, although it existed before. Archaeologists have found evidence of the presence of people here 20 thousand years ago, in the Paleolithic era.
One of the first ancient Russian cities, Murom became part of the Russian state under the rule of Rurik. Over the course of many centuries of history, the city has survived civil strife, conquest, baptism in the Christian faith, devastating raids of the hordes of Batu Khan, independent rule and unification with Moscow.
The revival of the land devastated by the Mongols began in the 16th century, when, at the behest of Ivan the Terrible, the first churches and monasteries were built of stone. By the 17th century Crafts are developing: leather dressing, shoemaking, tailoring, jewelry, blacksmithing. Then Murom Kalachs became famous.
Murom kalachs did not disdain to taste the crowned persons. There is even a monument to this baking treat in the city.
In the XVII-XIX centuries. the city was again destroyed: in the fires of 1792 and 1805. burned almost all buildings made of wood. Again, Murom was rebuilt already according to the clear plan of I.M. Lem, which received the approval of Catherine II before the first fire, in 1788.The plan provided for a perpendicular arrangement of streets instead of radial. Nowadays, this development order is violated by the construction of apartment buildings in the city center at the intersection of streets.
Murom - the city of monasteries and churches
In Soviet times, many churches suffered. Some of them were ravaged, some completely demolished. Among the latter was the Church of the Nativity of the Virgin, built in the XVI century. by decree of Ivan the Terrible.
Now Murom is a significant transport and industrial center, while retaining many historical buildings and the traditional old Russian appearance. The architecture of the city, as well as epics and legends associated with Ilya Muromets, Peter and Fevronia, attract many tourists here.
How to get there
You can get to Murom by any means of transport, except for air - there is no airport here. It is most convenient to travel by train, since the city is an important transport hub on the Gorky Railway and trains pass through it in many directions:
- Train. The railway connects Mur with Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kazan, Cheboksary, Omsk, Izhevsk, Barnaul, Novosibirsk and other cities. From the capital, trains depart from the Kazan station, the trip will take 4.5-5 hours. It will turn out from the Northern capital in 15 hours by the Kazan train, departing from the Moscow station. Murom train station resembles a fabulous tower
- The train. Suburban electric trains run from Nizhny Novgorod, Kovrov, Arzamas.
- There is a bus connection with Vladimir, Nizhny Novgorod, Ryazan. From the capital, the bus leaves from the Shchelkovsky bus station, the road will take 6 hours. The bus stop to Vladimir is located near the Kursky station, departure almost every half hour. And from Vladimir there are many buses and minibuses to the destination.
- Car. Autotravellers should follow the M7 to Nizhny Novgorod. There are two routes from there: through Gorokhovets or Pavlovo.
- On the ship. Passenger water transport ceased to exist with the collapse of the USSR, but tourist ships departing from Moscow and Nizhny Novgorod were still preserved. Cruise ships depart from Moscow about once a week. Tourist boats moor to a small pier on the Oka
Manor Red Mountain
Another attraction of Karacharov. The estate belonged to A. S. Uvarov, a scientist, archaeologist, historian, creator of the Moscow History Museum. On the estate, he was found and studied the parking of people dating back to the ancient stone period. She is still intact and in good condition.
Manor Red Mountain, built in the style of classicism, is a monument of architecture
The estate was built at the end of the 18th century. in the style of mature classicism, is distinguished by grace and strict architecture. The scientist’s house, two outbuildings, a stable, a bathhouse and a linden alley, which was part of the park, have been preserved. The estate is an object of historical and cultural significance, but you can only admire it from afar. There is no free entrance to the territory - there is a military unit.
What to see in different seasons
The timing depends on the purpose of the visit and your capabilities. Monasteries and temples are open all year, you can worship the holy places in any season. But the best time to travel is from late spring to early autumn.
- In summer, he walks well in the spacious Transfiguration Monastery. Around the monastery buildings flowerbeds are broken, there are ponds and the whole territory is buried in verdure. Around the Transfiguration Monastery a lot of greenery, flowerbeds are broken and artificial ponds are arranged
- Take a walk along the promenade, admire the cable-stayed bridge, swim in the Oka - the city beach is clean, sandy, even children can swim. On a summer day, take a good walk along the Oka embankment
- At the end of June, the traditional festival "Stars over the Oka" is held. On this day, extreme tourism zones, laser-tee games, dog shows, rock band concerts are organized on the waterfront. In conclusion, a concert with the participation of stars and fireworks is arranged. The festival "Stars over the Oka" is dedicated to Youth Day, on this day a lot of events are held on the embankment
- Take a walk in Oksky park, relax in the shadow of centuries-old lindens and elms, examine the river and the view opening behind it from the height of the hill. By the way, on the first Saturday of July, Murom celebrates City Day.
- Day of family, love and fidelity is celebrated on July 8. Murom receives many guests from all over the country who wish to honor the memory of Murom saints and ask them for family happiness. Day of family, love and fidelity, founded in memory of Peter and Fevronia - the most beloved holiday by the townspeople and guests
- August 4 is the day of the city’s brand, Murom Kalach. The program includes a theatrical performance, competitions, workshops, a bread fair with a tasting of products from Murom Kalachnik.
- September will give the last warmth, but in October winter is already approaching. Yes, and rains are not uncommon, so do not forget to take an umbrella and stock up on waterproof shoes. The reward will be the multi-colored autumn foliage that shelters squares and parks. And it’s easy to hide from the rain in one of the churches or in the museum.
- In early September, an unusual festival "Russia is being built by men." The program includes master classes in traditional men's crafts, performances by historical reconstruction clubs and men's folk ensembles. The idea of the festival "Russia is built by men" - the role of the father in the education of a real man
- If you want to see the real Russian winter, go to Murom. It is snowy here, with frost - the average temperature is about -10 ° C. True, there is no summer greenery and colorfulness, and slippery sidewalks spoil the impression, but these are trifles.
- It is worth timed to celebrate the New Year. Here it is bright, interesting, fun and fiction. You can appreciate the imagination and creativity of the creators of the holiday trees on the Avenue of Christmas trees, take part in a concert with competitions and festivities on the square of the 1100th anniversary of Murom. New Year in Murom is celebrated brightly and interestingly.
Vacation with children
Which child is not interested in seeing the place where the hero Ilya Muromets was born and lived, about which he knows only from fairy tales and cartoons? Taking children with you on a trip is not only possible, but also necessary. After all, besides the sights, there are also special entertainments for them.
- Theater-Museum of Ilya Muromets. Here you can take part in one of the interactive programs - watch a performance, try on a helmet of a hero, hold his sword in your hands, craft a craft with your own hands, taste ivan tea with Murom kalach. Record should be in advance. In the theater-museum of Ilya Muromets you can watch the performance and treat yourself to Murom Kalach
- Ice Palace "Crystal" will appeal to young lovers of winter sports: an ice rink is open at their service.
- The cultural and entertainment center "Empire" provides slot machines, trampolines, labyrinths, a climbing wall, a play area for kids. There is something for parents to do: a cafe, bowling, karaoke and many other attractions.
- Museum "Bread Room" offers to get acquainted with the exposition of baking, participate in a master class, independently paint a gingerbread. In the Museum "Bread Chamber" children are taught to paint gingerbread on their own
- Children's Park Yuri Gagarin, reconstructed in 2015, now has several zones: gaming, scientific and educational, and recreation. The name justifies the model of the solar system and the fountain in the form of a rocket.
- Armored train "Ilya Muromets." Not a single boy will refuse to look at the legendary fortress on wheels, created during the Second World War. An exact copy of the legendary armored train "Ilya Muromets" will not leave a single boy indifferent
- The Museum of Illusions and Sciences "The Limit of Escher" is the first interactive show-museum of the city. Children will learn how our planet works, visit the zero gravity room, the infinity room, draw a 3D pen, and take part in interesting and informative events. The Museum of Illusions and Sciences “The Limit of Escher” will deceive the brain and help you learn a lot about yourself and the surrounding space
The lifestyle of a small town is not much different from other places in the Russian outback. But some tips on staying here still will not hurt and will save you from unnecessary expenses:
- You can save on accommodation by settling in a hotel for pilgrims and tourists at one of the monasteries. It is worth considering that you have to comply with some conditions, which are best known in advance.
- Here you can eat cheaply. The food is simple, but very tasty. It is especially recommended to try the monastic bread baked by the monks according to old recipes.
- Be sure to try the famous kalachs depicted even on the Murom coat of arms. It is better to buy them at the monastery bakery, but even in any store there is a huge selection of this delicious pastry.
- Try the local cucumbers that Moore is famous for. Especially good are salted, cooked by monks with the addition of honey and basil.
- In a criminal sense, the city is safe for tourists, but still you should not especially relax - there are pocket thieves everywhere.
- There will be no parking problems. Many places where you can leave your car for free.
- Especially good views of the city and surroundings from the water, a boat trip will bring real pleasure.
Upon arrival in Murom, Ilya Muromets met tourists (he is the most famous hero of this city). Briefly, but colorful and artistically, he told about his life, about heroic deeds. It was interesting and funny to listen to ... Then he treated everyone to legendary kalachs and posed for a photo. The guide gave us some free time to explore the monument and the opportunity to enjoy beautiful views of the Oka. The monument is huge, portrays Ilya Muromets in a warlike pose: with his left hand he presses a cross to his chest, and with his right hand he raises a huge sword. It is clearly visible from the river.
From everywhere there is a beautiful view of the river. And from the river, especially when you arrive by train, an incredibly beautiful view of the city. The city is strewn with the tops of churches. There are a huge number of them. The ancient, preserved from God knows what time. Small, big, famous and modest. They give the city an absolutely special atmosphere. The city will greet you with a train station very unusual in its architecture. From it you need to get to the center in about ten minutes, but I don’t know the bus, we drive a car. The center of Murom is a mixture of antiquity and modernity. Basically, old houses, an old building of a water tower have been preserved here. In one of these houses there is a small shop where you can buy delicious Murom kalachs. But several years ago, intensive development began and modern shopping centers grew among these monuments. As you know, they were built not at all where they were needed; they did not add charm to the city. In the city center there are two squares at once. One is called "Area of the 1100th anniversary of Murom." It has an administrative center built in the spirit of socialist realism and not causing positive emotions. But besides him, the old-old market, with the walls that have been preserved since ancient times, and also merchant houses, in which museums are now located. Very good, by the way. There are a lot of museums in Murom. Another square right next door is called “Peasant Square”. Now nothing reminds of agricultural labor there, but maybe something was connected earlier, I don’t know. But this square has its own masterpiece. This is the Holy Trinity Convent. It is in it that the relics of Saints Peter and Fevronia, who are the patrons of marriages, are stored. And it is precisely to them that the Orthodox come (and not to Valentine.) To ask for the blessings for the creation and prosperity of their families.
There is such an abundance of architectural monuments that I soon ceased to perceive the information of the guide. And when I walked through the streets of the city and the Oka embankment, I was literally trembling that I was walking in a city that was over 1000 years old. The city is a tourist center, so there are many hotels of all categories. I stayed at the Volna Hotel, which is located almost on the Oka embankment. We rented a double room with its own bathroom - and paid 2400 rubles per room. The price was taken, of course, in the 4-star category, but the hotel does not pull 4 stars. The room is comfortable, there is Internet access. I did not pay attention to the air conditioner. being in the cold, just laying down to sleep. I didn’t notice much good service at the hotel. No dinners in the room, or even at the hotel. We ate at a restaurant nearby. The same picture is in other hotels. So the infrastructure here, of course, is not European. But what are all these conveniences facing the opportunity to see such antiquity!
In general, I can safely call Murom (the part that I visited) a friendly city for people with disabilities, there are ramps everywhere. I was the first to see a ramp in front of the entrance to the church. Wide doorways, of course, there are churches with stairs and without ramps, but there are those where you can go without outside help.
The road from Nizhny Novgorod to Murom took about 3 hours. All the way the guide talked about icons, about local beliefs. The city of Murom is small. In summer, when it’s warm, you can walk in walking steps from one monastery to another. Everything is nearby. The main attractions are located in the old town, with small houses. There is another part of the city, more modern, with tall houses.
The opinions of most guests who first visited the city can be expressed in the words: “Why haven’t we been here before?” One of the cities where the history of the Russian state began, amazes and bewitches the beauty of nature and temples. Here it is as if you are transported a century ago and you learn a lot of new things not only about your country, but also about yourself.