Rostov-on-Don is a city where the southern flavor surpasses. Hospitable and hospitable. A bit ambiguous, where, along with walks in historical places, guided tours of criminal areas are conducted. And how many jokes and legends were invented about him! In a word, you won’t be bored here.
The best sights of Rostov-on-Don are located in the center. Start your walk with the well-equipped embankment of the Don River. From there, go to the oldest park in the city named after Gorky. Then take a walk along Bolshaya Sadovaya Street and exit at Theater Square. Here is a large fountain, and often vacationers have a desire in the heat to plunge into it. But be careful not to be delayed by the police: such bathing is prohibited. Better go get some fresh air through the Botanical Garden or Kumzhenskaya grove. But about all the sights of Rostov-on-Don in order.
Ascension Military Cathedral in Novocherkassk
Year of opening - 1905. The Cathedral is unfinished, its construction began in 1811. Located in the center of Novocherkassk on a hilltop. In fine weather, gilded domes, inlaid with rock crystal crosses are visible for tens of kilometers. The interior is completely restored according to pre-revolutionary photos in 2005. Here are the tombs of prominent Cossack soldiers. The temple is active, visit is free.
Archaeological Museum-Reserve "Tanais"
It was created in 1958. Located 30 km west of the regional center - Rostov-on-Don, the ancient city settlement of Tanais has become the largest archaeological reserve of the Don region. There are five open-air expositions: the ancient settlement, the hall from the times of the Scythian-Sarmatian period, the hall of ethnic groups (life, traditions, beliefs), diverse exhibitions and the history of the study of the ancient settlement.
Novocherkassk Museum of the History of the Don Cossacks
Year of foundation - 1886. The collection of 150 thousand exhibits, moreover, dedicated not only to the Cossacks. The expositions include fossil antiquities, weapons, armor, coins, stuffed local fauna, a collection of porcelain, the legendary Don cane, more than 8 meters high under the ceiling of the building floor. Divided into thematic rooms, including a huge collection of items from the tsarist era, revolution and World War II.
Aksay Military History Museum
The museum was founded in 1948. It began as a small school museum of archeology. Now it consists of 4 complexes: Cossack kuren, customs, post office and directly the military-historical part. Most of the exhibits are finds from excavations near Aksay, including those raised from the places of bloody battles of the last war. It has more than 20 thematic expositions: from numismatic to weapons.
Volgodonsk Museum of the History of Don Folk Culture “Cossack Kuren”
Year of opening - 2003. Division of the local ecological and historical museum. The basis was the traditional Cossack chicken in the village of Krasny Yar, now part of the city of Volgodonsk. Here are presented the objects of traditional Cossack crafts and everyday life of Cossacks - “donors”. The building itself is completely authentic to the Cossack dwelling of the last century (layout, decoration, decoration), although it was restored literally from the ruins.
Memorial complex Kumzhenskaya grove
Year of construction - 1983. Dedicated to the soldiers of the Red Army that fell during the liberation of Rostov-on-Don in 1941 and 1943. The most terrible battles of those military operations took place here (strategic direction). It was founded at the mass grave of the fallen, its separate part is a huge gravestone with carved figures of the fallen soldiers. The sculptural composition itself is composed of figures similar to the real liberators of the city, the heroes of the Soviet Union.
The estate-museum of M. A. Sholokhov in the village of Vyoshenskaya
The museum was founded in 1984. In 1942, when the bomb hit, the Sholokhovs' family nest was destroyed, and the writer's mother was killed. The house was completely restored in 1948 and was the place of work of the Soviet classic. Each item here belongs to Mikhail Alexandrovich, here is his grave. The museum is conditionally divided into two parts: the estate itself and a garage with cars belonging to the author of the Quiet Don.
Year of discovery - 1977, the date is not accidental - to the 60th anniversary of the revolution. Located at the southern entrance to Rostov-on-Don, it is dedicated to the fighters of the First Mounted Budenny, who fought here with the Denikin Volunteer Army. Initially plaster, covered with copper sheets. Restored in 2009 with full preservation of details. The fifteen-meter monument has become one of the business cards of the city, a number of local traditions are associated with it.
Azov historical-archaeological and paleontological museum-reserve
A huge museum in the center of Azov, including a number of objects. The exhibits are about 320 thousand, some are absolutely unique, for example, skeletons of fossil dinoterium and a rare species of mammoths. Other paleontological finds are 250 Ma. In addition to antiquities, the expositions show objects of activity of people who inhabited the Azov coast: weapons, dishes, textiles, numismatic rarities, objects of art.
Powder Cellar in Azov
Year of opening - 1967. It was rebuilt on the site of an abandoned artillery cellar of 1770. The exhibits of the museum are relevant: tools of that era, an exposition on the development of domestic weapons, various auxiliary artillery devices and devices (bannics, barrels, sights, carriages). Come here and look at the diorama of Chernyshov’s work on the capture of Turkish Azov by the troops of Peter I.
Botanical Garden of SFU
Organized in 1927. In the valley of the Temernik river flowing through Rostov-on-Don, there is a huge botanical garden. 6500 species of flora are represented here, 1600 of them are tropical and subtropical species located in the park greenhouse. Plant collections are distributed by thematic expositions, for example, trees, flowers, medicinal and essential oils, endemic to the Azov steppes, and more.
Log Park in the Old Village farm
Year of creation - 2012. Park called “Little Switzerland” in the Log Beam near Kamensk-Shakhtinsk. Created on a private initiative of a local entrepreneur at his own expense. On 22 hectares of parkland there are many diverse objects: sculptures, mini-waterfalls, decorative buildings. Entrance is free, a separate asphalt road leads to the park, there is convenient parking.
Chekhov's house in Taganrog
Year of creation - 1926. The future writer was born in this small outbuilding. There are a number of exhibits belonging to Chekhov, for example, his gymnasium report card and school essays, and a number of personal items. In the house, the surroundings of the Taganrog period of the life of young Anton Pavlovich and partly of his works have been restored: the site around the building is a cherry garden.
Open Railway Museum of Railway Engineering
The year of opening is 1960. On the outskirts of Rostov-on-Don, on the site of the former Gnilovskaya station, there are 53 exhibits directly from the rolling stock: several pre-war steam locomotives, electric locomotives, diesel locomotives, railcars, tractors and hundreds of other items - equipment, railroad tools and more. Almost everything is in working condition, is on conservation. A special pride of the exposition is the heating car, in which soldiers were transported to the Great Patriotic War.
Chekhov's Shop Museum in Taganrog
Year of foundation - 1975. During the stay of the Chekhov family, a grocery shop was located here on the first floor, and living quarters on the second. A number of works by Anton Pavlovich was created based on the stories of visitors to the store he heard at a young age. Here the period of the writer's adolescence is presented, the interior is restored, several family photographs and personal belongings of the Chekhov family are collected.
Alekseevsky gate in Azov
The main fortress gate of Azov was built in the 17th century, excavated and restored in 1935. With part of the earthen rampart and moat, this is the only surviving part of the fortifications of the former Turkish fortress. Alekseyevsky Gate was rebuilt several times, now their stone version of 1805 has been preserved, painstakingly restored according to the surviving drawings of the time of their construction.
Barrow of Cossack Glory with a monument to General Jacob Baklanov
Year of opening - 2008. Located on the embankment of the shallow Sukhoi Solenovsky Bay, dividing Volgodonsk into two parts, it is dedicated to the legendary Yakov Baklanov. The complex consists of a seven-meter equestrian statue of a general, a mound with bas-reliefs and a bronze saddle with a cap at the pedestal of the main monument. The memorial is located near the local shopping center, on the waterfront itself there is convenient parking.
A complex of warehouse buildings built in the 1850s by the engineers Shulman and Yakunin. Before the collapse of the USSR, they were used for their intended purpose, and later acquired the status of a historical monument. Now abandoned, recognized as an emergency building, there is talk of dismantling. It is recommended to visit only in the daytime, preferably in groups: because of the specific contingent that has chosen the ruins.
Ethno-archaeological complex "The Lost World"
Consists of two expositions. The first is the “Path of History”, a fascinating journey into the early history of mankind: visiting the reconstructions of the dwellings of the Bronze Age, acquaintance with the life of people of the Stone Age, an excursion to the mound and acquaintance with the military traditions of their ancestors. The second - “Cossack village”, all about the Cossacks: life, crafts, wars. The organizers promise the effect of immersing themselves in history completely.
Novocherkassk Ataman Palace Museum
The opening year is 2001. Earlier, the Novocherkassk administration was located in the building of the 19th century, before that the ataman lived here and received distinguished guests. Now on the ground floor of the museum there is an exposition related to the participation of the Donskoy Army in wars and conflicts, the ataman’s apartments, dining room, living room, office are restored on the second floor and a memorial room for the leader of the White Guard General Kaledin has been created.
Karginsky memorial and historical complex
Year of creation - 1984. The Sholokhovs' estate is located in the village of Karginskaya, where Mikhail Alekseevich spent almost 16 years, starting in 1910. The Don Stories are written here and the idea of The Quiet Don is appeared. The building itself and the interior are completely identical to the time when the writer's family lived here. Nearby is the parish school - the place of study of Sholokhov, which has also become part of the museum-reserve.
Golden Slides Nature Reserve
The ancient settlement of the VIII century, presumably Khazar. It was discovered in the eighties and immediately received the status of a reserve. Excavations are ongoing now, because in season visitors have the opportunity to observe the work of archaeologists. Plus, the status of the protected object allowed preserving the pristine Don nature here and made the reserve an excellent place for hiking.
A huge salt lake that previously connected the Caspian with the Black Sea. The area is almost deserted, because life is literally in full swing here. Due to the mineralization of the soil, there are practically no trees here, the vegetation is grassy. The main attraction is the Water herd of feral horses, nicknamed the "Mustangs", living on the Manych island. On the island of Bird go to see rare birds.
Mountains Two Sisters in White Kalitva
These sisters nicknamed these mountains standing on the picturesque shore of the full-flowing Seversky Donets River for their amazing similarity. Naturally, there is a legend explaining their origin. In addition to the opportunity to enjoy the scenery, people come here to "catch" UFOs. They say that here the brothers of reason appear most often. And also - look for the enchanted treasure that the Cossacks buried, returning from the raid on the Krymchaks or Turks.
Surb Khach church in Rostov-on-Don
Year of opening - 1792. Built by Armenian immigrants from the Crimea on a high Rostov hill near Temernitskaya beam. At the foot there is a spring with a font, which has become a popular place among the Rostovites for the Epiphany bathing. At the temple there is a small necropolis where prominent Armenian figures are buried. After the restoration of 1972, a museum was opened at the temple dedicated to Russian-Armenian friendship with 10 thousand exhibits on display.