Serpukhov located in the south of the Moscow region, not far from the M-4 highway, 100 kilometers from the center of Moscow. The population is 126.8 thousand people (2013).
There is still no unambiguous explanation of the origin of the name of the city. There are several options, but none of them, however, is generally accepted. Most likely, the name of the city was given by the small river Serpeika, a tributary of the Nara.
Serpukhov has a significant number of attractions. The most interesting of them is the Kremlin, located on a high hill at the confluence of the rivers Serpeika and Nara, with the Trinity Cathedral, next to the temple complex. There are also two large monasteries that played an important role in Russia.
In the vicinity of the city is the Prioksko-Terraced Biosphere Reserve with picturesque landscapes and a bison nursery.
In Serpukhov, there is a list of the miraculous icon of the Mother of God “The Inexhaustible Chalice,” which, according to believers, healed from a painful addiction to alcohol. The original, located in the Vladychny monastery was lost after the revolution.
For any copying of material to a third-party resource, an active link to the site www.russian-goldenring.ru is required! If the text contains links to other sources, you must also indicate them.
Links are checked regularly.
Copying large volumes of information is possible only after agreement with the administration.
City theater on the map of sights of serpukhov (Russia, Moscow region)
Theater ticket office phone: +7 (4967) 72-14-31 (day off - monday)
The theater expresses gratitude to all sponsors who provide serious financial support to theater projects in the context of the financial crisis.
Serpukhov is located on the Old Simferopol highway, in the north it borders with the Chekhov district and the city of Chekhov.
At the entrance to Serpukhov, two things will surprise you: roads and the neglect of ancient buildings. Despite the fact that the Russian people are accustomed to the poor quality of roads, it is still strange to see large pits and potholes on the central streets of the city, especially after Chekhov’s good roads. And this situation with roads in Serpukhov has not changed for decades.
Regarding the old city architecture: many buildings are in unsightly ragged form. Why can't the city authorities renew the facades of houses and give the city a well-groomed, worthy look?
A few facts about the city:
- The city was founded in 1339.
- The population is about 126 thousand people.
- Occupied territory - 32.1 square meters. km
- It is located in the south of the Moscow Region, 99 km from the center of Moscow, 73 km from the Moscow Ring Road, 80 km from Kaluga and Tula.
- Serpukhov crosses the Nara River, which divides it into two parts and flows into the Oka, not far from the city.
- The symbol of the city is a peacock. Flag and coat of arms of Serpukhov - a golden peacock is depicted on a scarlet background in the center.
Address: street Red Mountain
Cathedral Mountain is the heart of Serpukhov. Here once was the ancient Serpukhov Kremlin, now only a small fragment of the wall remains from it.
Of the buildings located on the territory of the Kremlin, only the Trinity Cathedral remained. The approximate year of its foundation is 1380. In addition to the church, there are one-story residential buildings and an equestrian club. At the foot of the hill is a hippodrome.
Trinity Cathedral in Serpukhov
There is a memorial dedicated to the Great Patriotic War right there on Cathedral Hill: a monument to the Soldier-Liberator with eternal flame, memorial plaques with lists of the dead.
Behind Trinity Cathedral there is an observation deck with a beautiful view of Serpukhov. The most spectacular is the architectural ensemble of three old beautiful churches, following one after another: Assumption, Ilyinskaya and Troitskaya. Churches are located at the foot of a hill on Volodarsky Street. Here you can see the domes of other ancient churches of Serpukhov.
You can drive to the hill by car, there is a road.
Monument to the Warrior-Liberator
Monument to the Warrior-Liberator in Serpukhov
Address: Red mountain
Since childhood, everyone knows the famous monument to the Warrior-Liberator of the sculptor E.V. Vuchetich in Treptower Park in Berlin - a Soviet soldier with a sword in one hand, holding a rescued German girl with the other hand. A preliminary copy of the monument, made in Berlin in 1964, was sent to Serpukhov.
The monument stood for many years near the city hospital named after N. A. Semashko. On June 22, 2009 he was moved to Sobornaya Gora, on the territory of the memorial. The height of the Berlin monument is 12 meters, the height of the Serpukhov monument is 2.5 meters.
At the foot of the monument, an eternal flame burns, framed by a symbolic black wreath, charred from war.
Address: Kaluzhskaya street, house 110. Site: http://visotskymonastir.ru
Vysotsky Monastery is located on the banks of the Nara River, is one of the oldest Russian church buildings. It was founded in 1374 at the behest of the local prince Vladimir the Brave. The name comes from the place chosen for the construction of the monastery - High.
Currently the monastery is functioning, it has become a place of pilgrimage for thousands of people. For pilgrims there is a hotel and a comfortable home for living.
Here is a list of the icon of the Inexhaustible Chalice, another list is in the Vladychny Convent.
Observation deck in the Vysotsky Monastery
Vysotsky Monastery is interesting for its beautiful architecture, an observation deck on the city of Serpukhov and a dam on the Nara River.
Dam on the Nara River
Cathedral of St. Nicholas Bely
Cathedral of St. Nicholas Bely
The Church of St. Nicholas the White or St. Nicholas Cathedral or the Cathedral of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, built in honor of St. Nicholas - this is the cathedral church of Serpukhov. It is an object of cultural heritage. Made in the style of Moscow Empire. Architects - Ivan Tamansky and Fedor Shestakov.
St. Nicholas Cathedral was built on the site of a wooden church in 1721 from white limestone. A huge temple with a bell tower towered above the wooden Serpukhov.
«It was the first stone church in the city and on the outskirts, the second similar church was built in the village in honor of the myrrh-bearing women, then the Trinity Cathedral became the third stone church in 1696."P. Simson" History of Serpukhov "
Dome of St. Nicholas Church
The modern look of St. Nicholas Church was developed in 1831 by Tamansky and Shestakov. Construction work was completed in 1857.
The status of the cathedral was received in 1924. In Soviet times, the St. Nicholas Church was closed (1929), the bell tower was partially destroyed, and some of the icons were burned. It was at this time that the miraculous icon “Inexhaustible Chalice”, which was stored here after the closure of the Vladyka Monastery, disappeared.
It was used as a pasta factory, during the war, laundries were located, then a chemical warehouse. In 1995, the church was returned to the church as a courtyard of the Vysotsky Monastery. In 1998, the church became a parish again.
Restoration of Nikola Bely was carried out in 1995-2005. In 2003, a five-ton bell for a temple made of an alloy of bronze, silver and copper was cast in the Yaroslavl region. It is the largest city bell. In 2005, the temple was solemnly consecrated.
Museum of History and Art
Address: Serpukhov, st. Chekhov, 87. Website: http://serpuhov-museum.ru. Ticket price for Russians: 150 rubles, for pensioners - 100 rubles, for children and students -80 rubles.
The Serpukhov Museum is called the Small Tretyakov Gallery; it is one of the best art museums in the Moscow Region.
The main building of the museum is located in the estate of the 19th century Serpukhov merchants and manufacturers Maraev. The project of the mansion - the famous architect R.I. Klein.
Serpukhov Museum was created in 1918. Here came exhibits from the surrounding estates, monasteries and churches, as well as from Moscow and some cities near Moscow.
The museum is primarily interesting for the painting and the interiors of an old mansion. The ceremonial halls are decorated with stucco and columns. The most beautiful of them is the White Hall - weddings, holiday events of the museum are held here.
The Serpukhov Museum presents the works of many Russian artists of the XVIII - early XX centuries, the most famous names of them: Rokotov F.S., Levitsky D.G., Savrasov A.K., Levitan I.I., Shishkin I.I., Aivazovsky I.K. , Lagorio L.F., Polenov V.D. , Vasnetsov V.M. and many others.
There are also works by famous Italian, Dutch, French, German and Spanish masters.
In addition to painting, the museum presents ancient icons and other Orthodox antiquities of Serpukhov (crosses, wooden sculpture, church utensils).
Panoramic restaurant Extra Lounge
Address: 1 Borisovskoe Shosse
Korston is located in the heart of the city. This is not only a shopping mall, but also a 4-star hotel, a 4-hall movie theater, billiards, bowling, a children's park and a train. And of course, for every taste, bars and restaurants, there are McDonald's, a panoramic restaurant Extra lounge on the 15th floor with a beautiful view of Serpukhov and others.
In Korston, concerts of Russian stars of show business, conferences, banquets, and festive events are held. Banks are located: Sberbank, Home Credit Bank, ATMs, offices, fitness centers, travel agencies, driving schools.
Of the major retail chains here are: Sportmaster, Perekrestok, L’Etoile, Detsky Mir, Kari and others.
Fountain on Voroshilov street
The modern sights of Serpukhov are fountains. There are three main fountains: a fountain on Vladimir the Brave Square, a fountain on Voroshilov Street, a fountain in the Nursery Park.
On the history, name and coat of arms of the city
Since the date of the founding of the city is considered to be the first mention of it in historical sources, Serpukhov was founded in 1336. Then he is mentioned in a spiritual letter (i.e. testament) of Prince Ivan Kalita, as one of his possessions. The prince drew up this letter before the trip to the Golden Horde, under the rule of which were then Russian lands.
There is no exact explanation of the name of the city. There are versions that it came from the “sickle” tool, or from the Serpeika river, which crescently circled the historical center of the city - the Cathedral (Red) mountain, or from the serpukh plant, or from the canonical name Serapion, or this word generally had a Finno-Ugric origin.
It was on Cathedral Hill in 1374 that the construction of the wooden Kremlin began. Not far from it, in the same year, the Vysotsky Monastery was founded. Preferential terms of trade were established to attract merchants and artisans. And from the end of the XIV century, the Serpukhov prince even minted and put into circulation his own coins. This prince, who turned Serpukhov into a rather significant city, was Vladimir Andreevich the Brave.
Until the second half of the 16th century, the city suffered greatly from predatory Tatar raids - first from the Golden Horde, and after its collapse, from the Crimean Tatars. More than once they ravaged and burned him to the ground. In 1556, the Grand Duke Vasily III built a white-stone (made of limestone) Serpukhov Kremlin to protect against these rapid predatory raids. The Crimean Tatars could no longer take the fortress, but the neighborhood of the city was regularly robbed for more than a hundred years.
That was the Serpukhov Kremlin (painting by Russian painter Nikolai Burdykin).
At different times, Serpukhov repeatedly became a haven for various troops and leaders of warring factions: Boris Godunov, False Dmitry I, Vasily Shuisky, leader of one of the largest uprisings Ivan Bolotnikov, Minin and Pozharsky, hetman Pyotr Sagaidachny ... After the Time of Troubles, the beginning of the XVII century, the city completely became empty and depopulated.
Revived only in the Petrine era. Here, one after another, linen manufactories began to open. In 1761, 30% of the canvas exported from Russia was made in Serpukhov. The city entered the four largest domestic fabric manufacturers. The number of people employed in the textile industry has been constantly growing. In addition, by the end of the 18th century, 8 tanneries, 7 brick mills, and 8 malt factories were operating here. The products were mainly exported to the port of St. Petersburg. And the food industry focused on Moscow.
Intensive industrial growth continued in Serpukhov throughout the 19th century. New, more and more modern manufactories, paper and cotton mills opened. Turnovers of trade grew.
It is interesting that the peacock never disappeared from the coat of arms of the city, even in Soviet times.
During World War II, fierce battles of the Battle of Moscow were fought in Serpukhov District (November-December 1941), but the city itself was saved from encirclement and capture by the Nazis, receiving significant damage from air strikes and artillery shelling.
Today in Serpukhov there are about 150 large and medium enterprises of almost all sectors of the economy. However, a significant part of the able-bodied population goes to work in Moscow.
Interestingly, the first Honorary Citizen of the city of Serpukhov is Semyon Mikhailovich Budyonny - an order to create the First Horse Army and appoint Budyonny as its commander was signed here.
Trinity Cathedral on Cathedral Mountain
This temple was erected in 1696. He worked until the end of the 1930s, until it was closed by order of the Soviet authorities. The church was not destroyed and waited for restoration. From 1985 to 2011, it housed the local history branch of the Serpukhov Museum of History and Art, now the temple is re-operating. But the museum exhibit on local history at the cathedral is still there. She works on weekdays.
Trinity Cathedral on Cathedral Mountain.
The stone Assumption Church was erected in Serpukhov in 1744. It very harmoniously fits into the ensemble of three posadsky churches, (along with the Trinity and Ilyinsky churches). With a good angle, they can be captured in one frame. With the advent of Soviet power, the Assumption Church was ruined, a warehouse was opened in the building, which destroyed unique wall paintings and other furniture. The restoration of the temple also began at the turn of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. The Assumption Church is built of red brick with white trim, in a pseudo-Russian architectural style. From close range you can see amazing filigree carvings on stone trim. Inside the temple is again richly decorated and painted by contemporary artists.
Church of Elijah the Prophet (Elias Cathedral)
The only church in Serpukhov in which it was allowed to continue the services during the years of Soviet power, and it has not been closed since 1748, when its construction was completed. The temple was rebuilt in the middle of the XIX century. It belongs to the architectural style of “Moscow Baroque”.
Temple of Elijah the Prophet (Elias Cathedral).
Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker (Church of St. Nicholas the White)
This cathedral, in the style of Moscow Empire, was built of white limestone in 1721, on the site of the former wooden church. Like other churches, it was repeatedly completed and remodeled (the last time - in 1857). The cathedral has repeatedly undergone changes in appearance, the last remodeling dates back to 1857.
Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker (Church of St. Nicholas the White).
In the Soviet period, the cathedral was closed, and a pasta factory was located in its building. It was restored at the end of the 90s / beginning of the 2000s. This architectural monument is very beautiful, and not only from the outside, but also inside.
This temple was built in 1702, in the architectural style of Moscow Baroque, also replacing a wooden church that had fallen into disrepair.
In the 1930s, Soviet power closed the Sretensky church, destroying its bell tower to the ground.
The Sretensky church operates and gradually rises from a ruined state.
At the turn of the 20th and 21st centuries, the church was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church, in a very poor condition. Today, this architectural monument is being restored, and church services began to be held here.
Vysotsky monastery and dam on the Nara
The Vysotsky Monastery was founded in 1374 by Sergius of Radonezh, under the auspices and financial support of Prince Vladimir Andreevich the Brave. One of the oldest monasteries in the Moscow region, a monument of architecture of federal significance. Pilgrims from different regions of Russia come here to venerate the local Orthodox shrines.
Vysotsky Monastery in Serpukhov.
The monastery has an observation deck from which the whole city is visible at a glance, as well as a small dam on the Nara River. From it, though man-made, but beautiful and real waterfall falls. Visitors to the monastery are allowed only in modest clothing, according to the canons of our faith.
The Vvedensky Vladychny Convent, opened in 1362, has since been redone and rebuilt more than once. The cloister is surrounded by a high and thick brick wall, and the entrance to it is crowned by the gate temple of the martyr Fedot Ankirsky. The oldest church of the monastery - Vvedensky Cathedral - was erected even under the founder of the monastery, St. Varlaam Serpukhov. His relics rest near the temple, in a small chapel.
Another monastery church - George the Victorious, dates back to the era of Boris Godunov. The third - St. Alexis in the XVII century. These churches over the past centuries have been restored and completed more than once, however, they retained a special old Russian style and corresponding spirit. On the territory of the monastery there is a spring with clean water, tasty pastries are sold in the monastery shop, peacocks live in the enclosures, who “gave the idea” to the city coat of arms.
By the way, in Serpukhov there is a unique Peacock Museum. Its exposition occupies only one room, but it is quite rich and distinctive. The exhibition hall is decorated with great diligence and love. In addition to an excursion into the history of the city, here you can buy a variety of souvenirs in the form of peacocks, children will be offered to draw these exotic birds, and adults can drink tea or coffee for a nominal fee.
At the Peacock Museum.
In Serpukhov, not only Orthodox architecture is of interest to a curious traveler in Serpukhov. Among urban buildings and structures, many are subject to state protection as monuments of federal significance. Briefly about some of them.
Such wooden houses stand in the very center of the city.
Gostiny Dvor and Shopping arcades
The guest house on Lenin Square (the former Trade Square) was erected in the middle of the 19th century, when a large official from St. Petersburg, being a driveway in this city, was horrified by the messy, dirty and unfortunate spontaneous trade from the very center. To eliminate the outrages, super-modern, at that time, shopping arcades, Seating and inns were arranged here, cozy alleys and squares were arranged on the edges of the square. In 1910, the rectangular building of the Gostiny Dvor was rebuilt in the fashionable style of Russian neo-Gothic brick, with a large clock mounted on top.
Now Gostiny Dvor, once a boiling center of city life, has a number of shops and cafes, and of course it’s not talking about its former significance and greatness. There is evidence that after the reconstruction, the Gostiny Dvor will house large exhibition and concert halls.
Zemsky Council building
The building of the Zemsky Council, built in 1860, looks much more well-groomed - its facade is clean, evenly painted in blue. The government stands out against the grayness of ordinary typical houses. But it is also itself, since the Soviet era, an apartment building. Before the revolution, Sovetskaya Street, on which the building is located, was Nikolskaya - by the name of the magnificent Cathedral of St. Nicholas the White, which was already discussed. This street, 3.7 km long, is one of the main and oldest in the city (along with Voroshilova and Proletarskaya St.).
The building of the Zemsky Council.
The station, built in Serpukhov in the years 1865-1868 in an eclectic style, has long been the tallest building in the city and county. The exterior of the facade of this historic building has been preserved unchanged up to the present day.
Another “architectural mascot” of the city of Serpukhov is the old water tower built in 1926. It differs from many similar structures available throughout the country in its unusual design, and is very similar to a tower of a medieval fortress. This tower is not abandoned: nowadays there is a cafe and a beauty salon inside it. It also serves as a true reference point for those who want to get to the central city hotel: it is located very close to it.
This is the main street of the city of Serpukhov, and the longest: 4.6 km. Before the revolution, it was divided into two sections: Dvoryanskaya and Aleksandrovskaya streets. Here, in the historical center of the city, you can admire the old buildings and feel the spirit of Russian antiquity.
Memorial to the soldiers of the Great Patriotic War, with the author's copy of the Monument to the Soldier-Liberator in Berlin
The war memorial and monument are located in the historical center of Serpukhov, on the Cathedral Hill. Previously, the sculpture stood near the Semashko hospital, on a pedestal, where until 1956 there was a monument to Stalin. This is a reduced (2.5 m), but an exact copy of the famous monument to the Warrior-Liberator in Berlin Treptower Park. It is made by the author himself, the famous sculptor Eugene Vuchetich. The sculpture was created in the process of working on the main, large monument, and after the project was completed, it was presented to the city of Serpukhov (by the will of the author).
It is known that the prototype of the monument to the Liberator Soldier was a Russian soldier, a native of the Kemerovo region Nikolai Masalov, who in April 1945, risking his life, brought out a three-year-old German girl from under the fire. And Vuchetich was also posed by a Russian soldier, Tambovian Ivan Odarchenko, chosen by the author in the army physical training competitions (according to the sculptor, this was to be a simple soldier with a pronounced Slavic type of face, and strong physique). An interesting fact about the monument: its design, before approval, was shown to Stalin. The leader advised to replace the machine, which was supposed to be in the soldier’s hand, with a sword that split the German swastika at his feet.
Vuchetich’s expensive present for the city of Serpukhov.
During the hard years of the 90s, when the Serpukhov monument to the liberator soldier was still standing near the hospital, the incredible happened: the vandals cut off his sword from him in order to turn it over to metal. If the sculpture had not been saved in time, then perhaps in a year or two it would have been completely lost. Today, the fully restored Warrior-Liberator of Vuchetich rises on the Cathedral Hill, and the Eternal Fire burns right in front of him.
Monument to Prince Vladimir Andreevich the Brave
The monument dedicated to Vladimir Andreevich Khrabrom, the specific prince Serpukhov, was unveiled in 2009. Its author is the sculptor V. M. Klykov. This prince was the grandson of Ivan Kalita and cousin of Dmitry Donskoy. Everyone knows that the outcome of the Battle of Kulikovo (and, possibly, of the whole of Russian history) was decided by the sudden blow of the secretive ambush regiment of Russians, carried out 5 hours after the start of the battle. This regiment was led by Prince Vladimir the Brave and governor Dmitry Bobrok.
Monument to Prince Vladimir Andreevich the Brave.
After the Kulikovo victory, this courageous warrior led the Russian troops to the aliens from the Horde more than once, and the year of his death (1410th, at 52) was also the year of the final deliverance of Russia from the Tatar yoke. It is also noteworthy that the piety and intimate acquaintance of Vladimir the Brave with the "light of the Russian land" - Sergius of Radonezh, as well as the fact that the prince never participated in fratricidal strife.
Monument to Varlaam Serpukhov
A monument to this Russian saint appeared in Serpukhov in 2014. Its author is the famous Russian sculptor-monumentalist D. Kukkolos. It is completely cast of bronze, the height of the pedestal is 3 m, the height of the sculpture is 2.8 m. The monument stands in the Vvedensky monastery, which Varlaam founded.
Monument to Varlaam Serpukhovsky.
Monument to Anton Pavlovich Chekhov
A remarkable sculpture is placed in the park at the intersection of Chekhov and Voroshilov streets. A classic of Russian literature sits on a bench with a gaze fixed on the distance.
Monument to Anton Pavlovich Chekhov.
Monument Memorial "Black Tulip"
This mourning sculpture appeared in Serpukhov in 2005, on Zvezdnaya Square. It is dedicated to all those killed in Afghanistan and other “hot spots”. “Black Tulip” called AN-12 aircraft, which regularly delivered coffins from Afghanistan with dead soldiers (from 8 to 15 units on the plane, plus an escort). The name came from the funeral home in the Uzbek SSR, which made these coffins, and then “stuck” on the planes of this flight. Serpukhov monument to fallen soldiers-internationalists is a large granite block on which lies a black tulip.
Surroundings of Serpukhov: ancient estates and a terraced reserve
Near the city is the Prioksko-Terrasny State Natural Biosphere Reserve named after Mikhail Zablotsky - a unique island of untouched wildlife in the most densely populated region of Russia. This is one of the smallest reserves in our country, which, however, is inhabited by 143 species of birds and 57 species of wild animals. Including - bison, about 60 individuals.
Near the city, or even right on its outskirts, are ancient noble estates that once shone with their splendor. Now most of them are in a neglected, if not ruined, state. However, romantics will surely enjoy visiting any of them. Examples:
Manor Rozhdestveno-Telyatievo (Bolshoi Avenue), Manor Rai-Semenovskoe (in the village of the same name), Vyazemsky Manor "Pushchino-on-Nara" (in the village of Pushchino).
The tract "Ivanova Gora".
Another remarkable place in the vicinity of Serpukhov is the tract “Ivanova Gora”. It is called the "place of power" in which a person feels a surge of physical and mental energy. Here in ancient times, back in the pre-Mongol period, there was an old cemetery, the traces of which were gradually wiped off the face of the earth. Then Sergius of Radonezh consecrated this place, planting an oak on Ivanova Mountain. From this mighty oak, by the end of the 19th century, only a huge stump remained.
With the advent of Soviet power, the temple was destroyed, but the bell tower survived and has been restored in our time. Directed in the sky in this rather deserted place, visible from everywhere for many kilometers around, it makes an amazing impression.
You can get to Serpukhov from Moscow by bus (from the Lesoparkovaya metro station), or by train from the Kursk station. Travel time is about two hours. In addition to the express "Swallow": this train arrives in an hour and four minutes.